Australorps have Naked Tail

What is their regular feed aside from the treats?

Based on pictures.. I'd be treating everyone for parasites.. with a permethrin based treatment. That's not pecking in MY experience.
Reg feed is Purina Organic Layer Crumbles. The only other things that have changed in the last 10 days that this has been happening is I’ve fed them pumpkin to make munch on daily and I put a 250 W infrared heat lamp in coop at night because it’s been in the 20s

Probably roundworms from wild birds. What brand of dewormer and where could I buy it?
Sorry, I should have been more clear.. Round worms are internal parasites that don't cause defeathering.

Lice and mites are external and do, usually from manual damage like scratching or over preening. And yes they definitely come in from wild birds and other animals. The permethrin is the active ingredient of a surface treatment that does not require egg withdrawal. It comes under many brand names and different concentrations with directions to use as is or dilute properly depending on concentration. I found mine in the equine section at my local feed store, labeled as horse fly spray but with direction included for poultry (spritz specific locations only, drenching not required). I don't do dust as it goes everywhere when the birds shake out, but there are dust versions available. Please do NOT use on cats! Also be sure to repeat in 10-14 days (according to directions) to completely break the life cycle. Elector PSP requires only 1 application but is considered expensive by most folks. Some mites like "roost" mites don't live on the birds but under the roost and come out to feed at night and will never be seen on the bird during daytime inspection. This being one reason we suggest checking after dark with a flashlight or headlamp.

Permethrin based product examples from amazon.. (sometimes cheaper at TSC)

https://www.amazon.com/permethrin-chickens/s?k=permethrin+for+chickens

I do see what looks like either pin feathers or broken feathers if not both (I can't tell the difference).. if pin feathers then maybe it was molting.. most birds stop laying during molt.. and regardless of age.. chickens don't read our books about what they "should do" and when SO it is possible. But, molting doesn't cause angry skin that I can remember and I am seeing some redness. While molting usually stops laying.. internal or external parasites usually only decrease it and not by enough for MOST home caretakers to notice.

Ascites is "water belly" caused by heart disease (failure) which is usually genetic but often accentuated by too many high energy low nutrient treats. I have seen it in Orpington (from specific breeder), even with feed routine dialed in and yes it *can* look very similar to this.

Your first post said EGG LAYING Australorps were effected but your pic includes an Australorp and what's presumed to be an Orpington? The egg laying part is what indicates not molting to me. Being in more than one bird and breed is what indicates possibly NOT ascites.

I recommend removing the heat lamp.. 20 degrees is fine for chickens as long as the space is properly ventilated (too prevent moisture build up from breathing) and not drafty. Heating the space can make it harder for them to adjust during daytime. Have you read many threads about the subject, regarding how frost bite happens (or doesn't), etc?

That buff does have a few scabs that look like they could have been from "plucking".. it's entirely possible there's more than one thing going on here.

Understand I'm just an enthusiast and not an expert and only having a discussion of possibilities here. Always use YOUR best judgement.

Back
Top Bottom