Australorps

I have 3 five day old Austrolops, and they are GREAT!!! They are the first ones to run to my hands when I change water and food in the brooder and the 3 really do hang out with each other, they are curled up next to each other right now!!

I have two that are about 11wks and they are great to have so far. They are definitely big. At 11wks they are as big as my EE and my RIR who are 17wks. One of them is very shy and at the bottom of the pecking order and the other is very outgoing and is trying her best to move up in the pecking order. Pretty green/purple sheen to their feathers but they are very camera shy...

I was given my first chickens last year, 3 very beautiful australorps (3 and 4 years old) and a barred rock. The rock was the friendliest and most curious. The australorps seemed to hang together, with or without the rock. They were not as friendly or curious. I do not think the giver of the chickens cultivated much of a relationship with them.

Anyway, one talks to herself all day long and is the spokes person for the group (let us out, hurry up with the treats, where are the treats, etc.) My husband named her Roseann Rosannadanna because she is always talking about nothing. She is basically agreeable but will not let me touch her. She will eat out of my hand and hang out near me.

The second is a quieter version of the first. We call her Silent Bobbi.

Then there is Sweetums, the attack chicken. She is smaller than the other two and they each peck her in the head several times a day. I would be cranky, too. She will eat out of my hand and a few minutes later come at me talons up and beak at the ready. I have gotten really good at deflecting her attacks. After an attempt or two, she usually puts her head down and says "I'm just looking for worms and other stuff to peck. Please stop glaring at me." She makes a point of chasing the 11 week old newbies (barred rock, white rock, silver and gold laced wyandotes, and a buff orpington) a few times a day. I have a feeling very soon, as they get bigger than she is, she is going to get more pecks on the head.

That is my experience with australorps.

I have two 7 week Australorp chicks and one so sweet and friendly and the other is friendlier than the rest of the 6 breeds of chicks but more reserved than the other. Their 2 voices are different and I can recognize them over the baby monitor that is in the brooder area. They tower over the other chicks and avoid being pecked by stretching up. It's so funny!

They are great. They are bigger than most, only my light brahma is bigger at the same age, they are friendly, hang together and are fairly quiet. Good layers, great mothers supposedly and cold hardy. I have 2 that are 20 weeks old, 1 that is 3 weeks old and 5 that are 10 weeks old.

I have had one Australorp hen and one roo. They were wonderful!!! Her name was Mathilda and he was Emmet. She was the most docile, sweet, great egg layer, and Emmet was a terrific roo. I miss them!

I have one 8 week old australorp and I love her. She is sweet and quiet (so far!) She is tough, too. She survived a raccoon attack and has made an amazing comeback. I just got some ameraucanas and was afraid they would pick on her because she is younger and she still can't bear weight on one leg but she holds her own and I haven't seen anyone pecking her. She is my friendliest (tho' i think that is because I raised her from a chick and the others just arrived.)

I have one Austrolorp. Her name is Roxy. See is a consistant layer, 6 extra large eggs a week. She rules the roost over the three other girls in my hen house. The other girls are a Wyondotte, an EE and a RIR. All are smaller than she. She loves her treats and is easily bribed.
D.gif

My Australorp, Matilda, (what else would you name a little Aussie girl except for maybe Sheila) is a total sweetheart. She's never done anything aggressive or mean to me, my family, or our other hen. She started laying last Sunday at just over five months old and she's now layed 12 eggs in a row, every 24-25 hours without taking a day off. I would have a whole flock of Australorps if I had the space.

Back
Top Bottom