Authentic 8' by 12' PORTABLE Woods KD Coop

I spent a couple of hours moving things around and positioning the trailer where I will assemble Coop2. Leveled and put a couple of beams in place; the boards on the top of the beams measure 12', cross beams are a little over 8' so one can picture the overall foot print. I will attempt dovetail lap joints so floor will be 6" above metal frame and ~24" off ground.

Flock 1 exploring their various spaces, they were out all day.

IMG_20200712_141521.jpg
IMG_20200712_161952.jpg
IMG_20200712_161930.jpg
IMG_20200712_162544.jpg
IMG_20200712_162530.jpg

Last edited:
Built onto a trailer, I like that!

@ColoradoPip is responsible for me doing one; he did a build thread a short time back and gave me lots of ideas.

Rationale: moveable around my 3 acres; can be easily sold if I opt out.
  • Note the Woods KD (Knock Down) design is panels.
  • This mobile version will be the same and will be able to be "flat packed" or "drive-as-is" [slowly] depending on the risk tolerance vs effort trade-offs.
I am thinking about coops/runs/pens layout and design from a novice breeder perspective. I imagine runs with multiple closeable access doors, "enclosed tunnels" running from multiple coops; coops, runs, family pens, isolation pens, brooders, incubators, ?.

Last edited:
@ColoradoPip is responsible for me doing one; he did a build thread a short time back and gave me lots of ideas.

Rationale: moveable around my 3 acres; can be easily sold if I opt out.
  • Note the Woods KD (Knock Down) design is panels.
  • This mobile version will be the same and will be able to be "flat packed" or "drive-as-is" [slowly] depending on the risk tolerance vs effort trade-offs.
I am thinking about coops/runs/pens layout and design from a novice breeder perspective. I imagine runs with multiple closeable access doors, "enclosed tunnels" running from multiple coops; coops, runs, family pens, isolation pens, brooders, incubators, ?.
You have a good thing gping on here. What are your thoughts as to the bottom of the coop, are you making it predator proof or enclosing the coop with a run?

@Ted Brown how's the build coming along?

JT

I have just finished one client build project and am starting up two new client project so have not spent much time on it. I have decided on dove tail lap joints for the beams and have started drawing the necessary cutouts on the beams.

Past two days modifying my original coop to have 3 pens under the drop boards/ramp areas; immediate use Pen 1 as a broody pullet area (5 eggs under), Pen 2 for my five week old self hatches (my eggs) + one Chantecler runt, Pen 3 for my fourteen 4-week old Chanteclers.

so have not spent much time on it.

I know how that goes, it seems like one thing after another here. My van was in the shop for 2 1/2 weeks and when I went to drive Rusty my truck the rear brakes had an issue that took me most of a week to sort out. Yesterday morning I blew a power steering hose on the van... not to mention I have two jobs going at the same time and yesterday my bandsaw broke a blade guide.

JT

Back
Top Bottom