Autistic boy can keep chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Nov 9, 2012.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    http://www.cfnews13.com/content/new...012/11/7/appeal_tonight_in_de.html?hpt=us_bn8

Autistic boy gets to keep chickens, DeBary rules

[​IMG]
    JJ Hart plays with his chickens in the backyard coop. The family says the chickens help JJ with his autism.

By Saul Saenz, Reporter
    Last Updated: Thursday, November 08, 2012, 1:01 PM
    Share on facebook​
    Share on twitter​
    Share on google​
    Share on email​
    More Sharing Services​

DEBARY -- ​

A 2-year-old Volusia County boy will get to keep at least some of his pet chickens to help with his autism.
    And soon, everyone in DeBary may soon be able to keep chickens in their backyards as well.
    JJ Hart's family was originally told their 11 chickens were a violation of a city ordinance. But Hart's parents said the chickens have been therapeutic for JJ.

Joined by dozens of supporters Wednesday night, the Harts went to City Council with their attorney to appeal a decision to make them get rid of the chickens.
    The council instead came up with a new ordinance to allow the Harts -- and, in turn, all DeBary residents -- to keep as many as three chickens in their backyards for nonagricultural purposes.
    "Well, we have more than three chickens, so we want to keep what we have," said Ashley Hart, JJ's mother.
    The council said it was open to suggestions on how to modify the ordinance. A second reading is scheduled for Dec. 5.
    "We don't want to see, you know, the chickens taken away from this child," said Councilman Dan Hunt, "and I believe ordinance 0-12 offers a remedy."
    Another issue yet to be resolved is if the Harts' fine for the first violation of city ordinance will be erased.

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Oh good! I hope they raise the number from 3 to 5 at least.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Such great news! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    how can anyone look at that sweet face as he holds his pet and deny him that pleasure?

5. Tazman99

Tazman99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    That's awesome!

6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Good! I've always thought this is one of those "rules without reasons" and glad to see it about to crumble, no matter whose chickens they are! We have given up WAY too many of our personal liberties for urban encroachment and overcrowding.

7. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I agree. A lot of HOA powers need to be stripped by law. Too much of our legal system backs up these unreasonable groups.

8. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Times about a million. I'm worried about buying land to farm because I've seen entire farming communities turned into big box stores and dung-toned (I...never got the appeal) 'planned communities' in an amazingly short time frame. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by