auto door openers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gloria's Gang, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Gloria's Gang

Gloria's Gang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    Was wondering if anyone has purchesed an automatic door opener over the internet and if so which model. I do not have electric in the coop (besides an extension cord for water heater). I would need battery or solar. I built my coop myself but I do not want to dable in electrical stuff. Thanks.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have one of these. It uses batteries for power, and you can either use a timer (also uses batteries) for opening and closing times, or the light sensor (which is what I do).
    http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/2100-2107.html

I am about to buy another one for a new coop I'm having built.

These have made life SO much simpler for me, especially in the winter when I go to work and come home in the dark. The door opens after dawn and closes at dusk. Wonderful!

3. mcfarmall

mcfarmall Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    Kalamazoo
    Wowsa, hang on to the wallet!!

4. Redley

Redley Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    Golden, CO
    Quote:x2

Anyone have any luck with the infamous "drapery motor"?
    If so, what's the overall cost with this design.

The pre-fabbed ones are WAY out of my budget.

5. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I have the AD 20 (drapery motor). If you already have a door and electricity, the cost is what you pay for the motor. If you do not have electricity then add the cost of the solar charger and a 12 volt deep cycle battery. If you do not have a door, any thing will work. A piece of metal or plywood. Cut it to size and put guides on either side and you are done. Easy peasy.

Almost forgot, a $10.00 timer from Wal*Mart...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  6. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Las Cruces, NM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  7. Gloria's Gang

Gloria's Gang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    The McMurray one is more expensive then the others I saw which ran about $180.00. I set aside a bit of cash from my tax return for this. When I go away camping for a few nights here and there in the summer, I want to know that the girls go out early at day break. Not when my helpful neighbor decides to roll out of bed and come over! I also don't want the supplemental light.

It is a bit extravagant to spend all that money but the peace of mind it will offer me is worth it.

8. Tomski

Tomski Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been playing with the idea of converting an old garage door opener...

9. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Ok I have a S*T*U*P*I*D question....so this door opens in the morning. Thats good. And it closes at night. Thats good. Stupid question part....do the chickies automatically go inside when it is dark? Like...what happens if that door shuts and someone is still lingering around outside? My babies are not quite 2 weeks old yet so I have no clue!

10. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Yes the chickies will return to the coop at dusk. You may want to ensure the young ones have figured it out, but it doesn't take much to train them. Although I have known a few birds to prefer to sleep out side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by