auto door openers

In the sprit of stupid question
big_smile.png
. I'm planning to build a coop in the spring, and have looked at pictures and noticed the nice sliding door concept that goes up and down. If your pop door is exposed to a non-secured run - could a racoon come along and push it up - or can they notpush up or do you use a specific type of material.

Quote:
I have my pop door on a timer because I have some girls that like to stay out late, the little floozies.
lau.gif

Even so, I go out and check every night because sometimes they just want to stay out in the run. So, I pick them up and pack them in to the coop. Plus, if I find a number of them outside, inevitably it's because the inside waterer is empty. My bad.
hide.gif

I have the one from http://www.automaticchickencoopdoor.com/. We bought the whole door setup because we were in the process of building the coop. Best purchase I ever made, and it was SUPER easy to install!!!
D.gif

Ive looked into these some and also did a small amount of checking on the drapery mototrs. From what i can tell the motor is like 2/3 of the cost of the whole thing. Imo if i was gonna spend the money on the motor why not spend a few extra bucks and let experts figure the thing out and i just have to install it. Has anyone else checked this out?

Quote:
Yes, they will go in on their own. Sometimes ridiculously early. Although we have never, ever had a probelm, I always check to see that they're all in the coop at night, anyway.
wink.png

Quote:
If you get one of the openers that works like the AD 20 (drapery motor) the easiest way to prevent predation through the door is to install a piece of trim along the bottom which will not allow a predator to lift the door.

I have the one from Foys, http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/2100-2107.html and have just ordered a second one for the new coop being built.

The opening IS above the floor for two reasons: to keep deep litter inside the coop, and to have a barrier behind which the auto-door panel drops. It's in metal channels on each side, and predators cannot lift it when it's closed.

I bought the first one from a BYCer and there were scratch marks and 'coon prints ON the door; the seller told me the 'coon didn't make it into the coop. (She was selling it because she got rid of that coop and built another where the application wasn't necessary, so she saved the unit and resold it.)

I have the one like Foy's carries, too. It's mounted on the inside and the metal door slides below the opening in the wall, then comes to rest on a board. I had my husband install it that way to make it more secure. There's nothing to grasp from the outside and no way to get a toe under the bottom edge. We've had it installed that way for just under four years now, without a problem. Sometimes the run door is shut and sometimes it isn't, as we free range during the growing season.

I have the automatic door opener that was all framed in. It had the drapery motor inside the frame. The NH weather was so damp this yr that I had to replace the door with a pc of plexiglass as the wood door swelled beyond what they had allowed for swelling, not their problem but New England weather. An automatic door like this is definately the way to go. I have had mine 3 yrs and this was the first problem I had and was an easy fix. I actually had 2 pcs of plexi so I now am in good shape. I fill waterers and feeders at night so I don't have to worry about anything till the following night. I Love it my girls love it, as they can come and go as they please.

Back
Top Bottom