Auto pvc gravity feeder clogging

Like this one, but the grain ran past one hole then stopped.

We wanted to do one that ran down the coop wall at an angle with holes drilled the whole length.the top pipe is 5 feet and the running length is three , same size .
We've since started fermented feed in a rain gutter , works great! But we want some dry feed available also.
I paid $20 for 10 feet of pvc at our big box lumber yard, end caps and corners are about $3 each. Didn't get any silicone.

Last edited:

We wanted to do one that ran down the coop wall at an angle with holes drilled the whole length.the top pipe is 5 feet and the running length is three , same size .
We've since started fermented feed in a rain gutter , works great! But we want some dry feed available also.
I paid $20 for 10 feet of pvc at our big box lumber yard, end caps and corners are about $3 each. Didn't get any silicone.

Dude seriously? That's crazy I paid 10 for 8 feet of pipe, my corners and connectors were around a dollar and my end caps were like 25 cents... And I'm in Australia, meaning your dollar is worth more of mine.

Meanwhile you only need silicone if your making a drinker and is your piping an L shape... Roughly?

Sorry my phone didn't load the photo, and look I've never done one of those but I've heard that tilting it very slightly towards the end helps the feed drain through.

Oh well thanks for the information . Still like a photo of a working feeder,
And yes things are expensive here in south central Canada, the land of the free????

Meanwhile is it possible your piping is too small width wise, I know it sounds stupid but I was also warned to use wide pipes as pellets can get lodged at corners occasionally, although a simple shake is supposed to fix it, it isn't supposed to be a persistent problem.

And yes things are expensive here in south central Canada, the land of the free????

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ee/5a/63/ee5a63230345076832c40b6914e38ffd.jpg

That's not my working one, but that's a working one, mine works just the same, in fact that was the one I copied to make mine, however as I've said I did so because of others suggestions that corners and such could be problematic, I didn't wish to fiddle with angle or anything, so as a result I will probably need a second feeder, however sine it will cost me about 8 bucks and go together in about 30 seconds I still prefer the design.

Here's another

http://cdn.instructables.com/FVY/GWYB/HI3U1XIA/FVYGWYBHI3U1XIA.LARGE.jpg

And another

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/45/1d/a5/451da5f9ed9d7cb438447ea9e739a345.jpg

You can't really do those ones wrong, they operation so simply.

I could also show you photos of the other systems working, however as I've said those working depends on angle and pipe size. Also is it possible your coop walk is on a slight angle the wrong way? Because that might affect flow as well if your system is leaning backwards slightly.

Meanwhile is it possible your piping is too small width wise, I know it sounds stupid but I was also warned to use wide pipes as PELLETS can get stuck

After a good night sleep...I read these posts again and realized that I am using crumble for food, it is much finer than pellets and might be the reason it's getting stuck

I would think crumble would move easier in tight space because of its size, but maybe there's a weird physics thing there I'm not seeing.

At any rate without looking at your actual setup in person I'm kind of at an impasse, if the setup is installed right it should work, but again that angle tilting thing can come into play.

I've been struggling with your same problem. I've tried every possible angle on this thing and the food just doesn't feed to the end. I have 30 birds and don't want to have to build a whole bank of j-hook feeders when this gravity thing should just work! If you've found any magic tricks, PLEASE tell me! I'm about ready to junk the whole thing!

Back
Top Bottom