Auto Sexing Chicken Projects!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FarmLife01, Dec 16, 2014.

1. FarmLife01

FarmLife01 New Egg

Dec 15, 2014
    Beautiful Washington State
    I thought I would share the results of my own breeding project to create an auto sexing bird for our farm. Tell me what you think about 'em! :)

My goal was to create a bird that would be a very good brown egg layer, that the cockerals would get large enough to be a reasonable meat bird (for a dual purpose type chicken), and that would be auto-sexing for ease of sorting and raising. Here's what I have so far, 4 generations into the project: (No purchased auto-sexing birds were used, although some certainly look like it :) )

[​IMG] Male chick 1 day on left, Female on right, Silver strain
    [​IMG] Young adults (~7 months), Silver strain.
    [​IMG] Male chick ~1-2 days, Gold strain
    [​IMG] Adult Gold Roo (~11 months), the lighter of the 2 kept
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] And a big range of basic hen coloration in the Gold line.
    [​IMG] Representative eggs - they are laying now for me, usually a % will lay through the winter (the ones that were hatched the earliest in the year).

I am very happy with what I have so far. If I could change one thing, I would make the cockerals put on more weight faster.... I harvest at around 6 months now, to make it worth the while. If anybody has suggestions on a feed that may work better (just have them on non-med grower), then that would be welcome too.

All thoughts are welcome!

What's your story?[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting. :eek:) I've always found auto-sexing genetics to be a very interesting subject. Good luck with your continued auto-sexing breeding efforts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by