Auto turner or not to auto turner with a little giant incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RVAnnie, Mar 17, 2015.

1. RVAnnie

RVAnnie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    I have ordered 3 dozen eggs to hatch which is more than my auto turner will hold (1 rack broke). My question is are your hatch rates better with or without the auto turner. I'm trying to figure out if I need to go purchase a new rack or not and whether I would be better off just laying them on the incubator wire mesh for the entire hatch. Your feedback is appreciated.:yiipchick

2. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    I am lazy so if I were in your shoes I would probably convince myself that the auto-turner has better hatch rates. In reality I don't think there is much of a difference. Make sure your turn them a few times daily if you elect to not purchase.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I just took my turner out because I have 3 1/2 dozen which makes me have to use the slots by the turner motor and that baby gets hot and puts off a lot of heat. Even with the fan it creates hot spots. My eggs by it are developing too fast. I decided I'd get more even temps with them flat and manually turning. It's a pain, but nothing I can't handle.

4. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    I'd say it depends on your lifestyle as to rather manually turning would be a good alternative. If you can turn 3-5 times a day manually (Odd number of turns keeps eggs from staying on one side 2 nights in a row), then I would say that manually turning would be an option. However, if you are in my case (Leaving at 7:00 and not getting home till 10:00) then it would definitely increase hatch rates to have a turner because there is no way for me to turn them as much as needed.

5. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    If you have the standard 42 egg turner with the blanking plate on the hole next to the motor, move that rack where your broken one was, pop off the blanking plate, and you have room for 35 eggs. Turn the extra egg by hand until you find a clear in a week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by