Automatic Chicken Door suggestions

I am a big fan of my ADORStore Chicken door.
https://adorstore.com/products/ador1-automatic-chicken-door

It is well build, easy to install, and most important, cannot be opened by the raccoons once it is closed at night. It runs off of a 6V lantern battery, which should last a year or so.

It has really made things easier, especially if I am away and need to have neighbors check in/feed the flock, but not have to drive over 2 x per day to open/close the coop, or maybe even sleep in once in a while. :)

I bought the Ador1 - as others have said. In addition to easy to install and reliable, I also needed some help (I added a push button opener and couldn't figure it out - user error on my part)-- the company replied to my email very quickly!

This is the door we have & it’s worked great! Opens at dawn, closes at dusk, no electricity needed. https://chickendoors.com/product/standard-pullet-shut-chicken-door-combination/
That's the one I have as well. It says the battery lasts 3 to 5 years, but mine lasted over 6 years, and I think it would have lasted longer, but it had to disconnected from the solar panel for several days while we were doing some coop modifications and it ran the battery way down.

That's the one I have as well. It says the battery lasts 3 to 5 years, but mine lasted over 6 years, and I think it would have lasted longer, but it had to disconnected from the solar panel for several days while we were doing some coop modifications and it ran the battery way down.

Curious how you have your battery and solar panel set up.
Are you using a rechargeable battery like you'd use in a solar fence charger? and then put the battery on a solar trickle charger? I spoke with Rob at AdorStore about trying something like that to keep the voltage up on the battery. I think cold weather like we have here can be brutal on the alkaline 6V lantern batteries.

*edit: I see now that your door came complete with the rechargeable battery and solar panel. Wish I had seen that when I bought mine this spring.

Curious how you have your battery and solar panel set up.
Are you using a rechargeable battery like you'd use in a solar fence charger? and then put the battery on a solar trickle charger? I spoke with Rob at AdorStore about trying something like that to keep the voltage up on the battery. I think cold weather like we have here can be brutal on the alkaline 6V lantern batteries.

*edit: I see now that your door came complete with the rechargeable battery and solar panel. Wish I had seen that when I bought mine this spring.
I bought the entire set up with the rechargeable battery and solar panel. This year I added a daylight sensor to the cart when I bought a new battery and can't believe I waited so long to make that upgrade. I got really tired of re-setting the open/close times manually as the seasons changed.

My Ador door adjusts automatically with the changing seasons and day length. I am thankful for that. They have a few other options and add ons to help customize your set up.

My chickens adapted quickly and easily, and I hope that when I add my young hens to the group that they do as well. It just is not safe around my place if the door doesn’t get closed on time.

Next will be a solar charger for self-sufficiency, even though I will be running power out there soon. The winter extension cord arrangement that I use for a de-icer is ok, but I like back-ups and failsafes.

Maybe I’ll try one of the “chickendoors” brand doors in the future for free-range access that won’t be quite so time sensitive like my current “safe-house” coop door. It looks like a nice system.

Back
Top Bottom