Automatic Chicken Door

Sorry about your problems, but it sounds like it is a matter primarily of design.

I only have experience with one commercial-made auto door (Chicken Guard Premium), but I can't see how it could kill a chicken. It uses a string to slowly raise/lower a relatively lightweight aluminum door (think cookie tray bottom) on a string. If a bird was somehow caught under it, they wouldn't be crushed. Some commercial designs (or home builds) force down the door which might result in crushing.

The thin aluminum door might not sound terribly secure, but it actually works well. It is strong enough to keep out predators and slides up/down in grooves in the frame and there is also a groove at the bottom of the frame so that the door goes down into the groove and a raccoon can't get his claws under it to lift it.

Also, the system can be set to raise/lower manually, based on timers or via lux (light) settings. There are other commercial devices that are very comparable and may have some different features you like. Here is a picture of my setup:

XJ6N5G2.jpg
I agree. My commercially made automatic door closes VERY slowly, although it is a horizontal sliding door. It also senses resistance & will stop if it detects it. It has stopped closing midway because of litter in the track.

I agree. My commercially made automatic door closes VERY slowly, although it is a horizontal sliding door. It also senses resistance & will stop if it detects it. It has stopped closing midway because of litter in the track.

Agreed. My Coop Tender closes downward but so slowly that a chicken would have to be pretty slow (or stupid) to get caught in it. Also it will stop once it hits anything solid even some litter or hardened poop. I have to remember to keep the bottom of the track cleaned or it signals that it isn't closed.

Sorry about your problems, but it sounds like it is a matter primarily of design.

I only have experience with one commercial-made auto door (Chicken Guard Premium), but I can't see how it could kill a chicken. It uses a string to slowly raise/lower a relatively lightweight aluminum door (think cookie tray bottom) on a string. If a bird was somehow caught under it, they wouldn't be crushed. Some commercial designs (or home builds) force down the door which might result in crushing.

The thin aluminum door might not sound terribly secure, but it actually works well. It is strong enough to keep out predators and slides up/down in grooves in the frame and there is also a groove at the bottom of the frame so that the door goes down into the groove and a raccoon can't get his claws under it to lift it.

Also, the system can be set to raise/lower manually, based on timers or via lux (light) settings. There are other commercial devices that are very comparable and may have some different features you like. Here is a picture of my setup:

XJ6N5G2.jpg

Wow! I have used an auto door for many years. I must have a different type. Mine is a device that puts a sting out, lowering, then in to raise. We made the door ourselves out of Plexiglas. It couldn't kill a chicken as it is too light. If a chicken was going through it would land on the hen, likely startling her to jump in or out of the way basically.. I have no idea about a light? Chickens naturally go in at dusk, it is their nature, so whether the coop is light or not doesn't matter. There are windows in the coop, a heat light in the winter, but this doesn't effect when they go in or out. So I am sorry it is confusing to me why they need a signal to go in. I have my timer set to open after dawn, and close about a half hour after dusk to allow a tardy bird or 2 to get in, it is RARE to see a hen not make it in, really never happens if everything is set right and working good....I adjust it as the seasons change to make sure it is closed at darkness. I hope you figure this out and if you need any pics or info on my auto door let me know!

Yes this was my design basically too so I was very confused as to how a bird could be killed. Mine is Plexiglas and not super heavy so a bird would just jump in or out if it got under it but that NEVER happens. Our birds KNOW the sound it makes and are super in tune to it and know it is time to go out, and don't ever stand in the opening if it is lowering...I hope the OP gets this figured out, or changes to this design we have...

I have to have a automatic door. My work schedule doesn’t allow me to open their door and go. I’m out of the house by 4am and After ordering and return two out of three automatic doors Because of all the horror story I finally settled for one that will not close on the chickens. It has a sensor that it will back up and won’t try to close until a few more minutes after to give a chance to the chickens to get in their coop. A couple times one stayed outside because she’s stubborn. I changed the closing time and now they are all getting in and staying safe and sound.
Can you share with me which doors you didnt like and which one you kept??

I have to have a automatic door. My work schedule doesn’t allow me to open their door and go. I’m out of the house by 4am and After ordering and return two out of three automatic doors Because of all the horror story I finally settled for one that will not close on the chickens. It has a sensor that it will back up and won’t try to close until a few more minutes after to give a chance to the chickens to get in their coop. A couple times one stayed outside because she’s stubborn. I changed the closing time and now they are all getting in and staying safe and sound.
Can you share with me which doors you didnt like and which one you kept??
@ariri30 ?

Back
Top Bottom