Automatic Chicken Door

Pics

Chefdmc

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2020
Eastern Massachusetts
So I decided to go away for the first time since I built my coop, almost 1 year ago. Of course that’s when tragedy happens, right? I had a chicken/dog sitter staying and keeping an eye on everything. I checked my run camera while I was away, only to notice one of my hens caught and killed in the auto door. Only to find out another hen was caught on the inside too! Couldn’t figure out why this happened.....had no issues after 10 months. Next night the door closed on another hen and killed her too. There was some reason why the flock wasn’t going inside at night. Had the door unplugged until I got home to see what was going on. I was of kinda baffled........guess what happened......the timer light bulb on the inside burned out and 1/2 of the flock refused to go inside to roost as usual. I got home and saw they were just hanging out in the coop doorway. So now, flock reduced from 9 to 6 hens, I don’t want to use the automatic door unless I have a secondary light of some sort in coop......Anyone here have any suggestions/similar experiences with hens not wanting to go inside a dark coop? I didn’t think I would have to install emergency lighting system for my coop!

Sorry about your problems, but it sounds like it is a matter primarily of design.

I only have experience with one commercial-made auto door (Chicken Guard Premium), but I can't see how it could kill a chicken. It uses a string to slowly raise/lower a relatively lightweight aluminum door (think cookie tray bottom) on a string. If a bird was somehow caught under it, they wouldn't be crushed. Some commercial designs (or home builds) force down the door which might result in crushing.

The thin aluminum door might not sound terribly secure, but it actually works well. It is strong enough to keep out predators and slides up/down in grooves in the frame and there is also a groove at the bottom of the frame so that the door goes down into the groove and a raccoon can't get his claws under it to lift it.

Also, the system can be set to raise/lower manually, based on timers or via lux (light) settings. There are other commercial devices that are very comparable and may have some different features you like. Here is a picture of my setup:

XJ6N5G2.jpg

Very sorry for your loss...that sucks. Mine is supposed to have a failsafe sort of like a garage door that if it hits something it will stop and go back up. I'm hoping that it works if this ever happens.

I have a light in mine that is charged with solar and only stays on for a bit after dark. It's enough for them to get in and get settled and then it goes out. I got it on amazon. Might be a good back up option for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XDQX7P3/?tag=backy-20

Sorry for your losses!
When layers get used to a light in the coop, they will roost much later than normal.
I used to run a light on a timer well past roosting time, and a lot of the layers would stay out till dark, pushing the envelope all the time. They would get stranded once in awhile, especially during summer, too dark to find the coop door or it had closed already, and just squat and fall asleep next to the coop. When my light finally burned out, I had the same issue you did, chickens trying to roost with no natural light left in the sky. My game chickens are not affected by artificial light in the coop, they will always roost early. I'm not providing a light in the coop anymore, and the layers go to bed much earlier, while they have natural light. I think I prefer the coop unlit, chickens are roosting in a timely manner, less bickering come roost time, everyone gets good rest, and it helps gives my sex-links a break from laying during winter. My auto door is from TSheaby's build, and the actuator moves so slowly, I doubt it could shut on a chicken. Plus, I added a tall 5" lip they have to step over, with a small opening 8x10, so there is no standing in the doorway.

Attachments

• 20200104_120917.jpg
    20200104_120917.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200104_120855.jpg
    20200104_120855.jpg
    903.3 KB · Views: 14
I seen a automatic door opener where after all the hens are on the roost the door shuts. There was no motors just a rope thru pulleys to the roost and when the bird all roosted it there weight would shut. It's a counter balance with the roost and chickens weight. I'M looking for the post on youtube.. I'm sure I'M explaining it wrong but it seemed easy to build every time you add a chicken or delete one you'll have to adjust it

That's why I went with a CoopTender door. It has a number of options--manual, timer, dawn to dusk or WiFi. I prefer to operate it remotely on WiFi so can open and close it when I'm sure the birds are safe--either to come out in the am or inside in the pm. I can access it from any place were I have an Internet connection using my iPhone. The only problem is if there is a power outage but since we have a standby generator that is taken care of. It does have a backup battery and solar panel capability but these require manual operation.

So I decided to go away for the first time since I built my coop, almost 1 year ago. Of course that’s when tragedy happens, right? I had a chicken/dog sitter staying and keeping an eye on everything. I checked my run camera while I was away, only to notice one of my hens caught and killed in the auto door.
Was this a home built door or a name brand, commercially available door?
Sorry for your losses.

A light coop helps the chickens to roost. This can be achieved with artificial light. But also with a window. A window needs no electricity, no sensor or any complicated device to work.

Because I have a big glass window I could make the chicken guard inside the coop. And it works on natural daylight.

Back
Top Bottom