Automatic Chicken Door

Sorry about your problems, but it sounds like it is a matter primarily of design.

I only have experience with one commercial-made auto door (Chicken Guard Premium), but I can't see how it could kill a chicken. It uses a string to slowly raise/lower a relatively lightweight aluminum door (think cookie tray bottom) on a string. If a bird was somehow caught under it, they wouldn't be crushed. Some commercial designs (or home builds) force down the door which might result in crushing.

The thin aluminum door might not sound terribly secure, but it actually works well. It is strong enough to keep out predators and slides up/down in grooves in the frame and there is also a groove at the bottom of the frame so that the door goes down into the groove and a raccoon can't get his claws under it to lift it.

Also, the system can be set to raise/lower manually, based on timers or via lux (light) settings. There are other commercial devices that are very comparable and may have some different features you like. Here is a picture of my setup:

XJ6N5G2.jpg
My door is closed by an actuator. I might try to wire an in-line photo eye to prevent it from closing if a hen is in the way. I probably will have to do some serious research on that ......

No windows. Only a screened door in the warmer months.
Windows are good for both ventilation and light.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!

upload_2020-1-4_8-41-54.png

I have to have a automatic door. My work schedule doesn’t allow me to open their door and go. I’m out of the house by 4am and After ordering and return two out of three automatic doors Because of all the horror story I finally settled for one that will not close on the chickens. It has a sensor that it will back up and won’t try to close until a few more minutes after to give a chance to the chickens to get in their coop. A couple times one stayed outside because she’s stubborn. I changed the closing time and now they are all getting in and staying safe and sound.

View attachment 1993974
Every time I attempt this it says error "please enter all required fields" which ones are required" I don't want to fill this all out..

I seen a automatic door opener where after all the hens are on the roost the door shuts. There was no motors just a rope thru pulleys to the roost and when the bird all roosted it there weight would shut. It's a counter balance with the roost and chickens weight. I'M looking for the post on youtube.. I'm sure I'M explaining it wrong but it seemed easy to build every time you add a chicken or delete one you'll have to adjust it

View attachment 1993974
Eastern Massachusetts and I updated my info! Thanks!

That's why I went with a CoopTender door. It has a number of options--manual, timer, dawn to dusk or WiFi. I prefer to operate it remotely on WiFi so can open and close it when I'm sure the birds are safe--either to come out in the am or inside in the pm. I can access it from any place were I have an Internet connection using my iPhone. The only problem is if there is a power outage but since we have a standby generator that is taken care of. It does have a backup battery and solar panel capability but these require manual operation.

I seen a automatic door opener where after all the hens are on the roost the door shuts. There was no motors just a rope thru pulleys to the roost and when the bird all roosted it there weight would shut. It's a counter balance with the roost and chickens weight. I'M looking for the post on youtube.. I'm sure I'M explaining it wrong but it seemed easy to build every time you add a chicken or delete one you'll have to adjust it
I remember that one....was kinda cool but not very practical in most coops

Back
Top Bottom