Automatic Chicken Door

So I decided to go away for the first time since I built my coop, almost 1 year ago. Of course that’s when tragedy happens, right? I had a chicken/dog sitter staying and keeping an eye on everything. I checked my run camera while I was away, only to notice one of my hens caught and killed in the auto door.
Was this a home built door or a name brand, commercially available door?
Sorry for your losses.

Sorry for you're loss.

I never had problems with my chicken guard. But I do have a window for natural light in the coop and I used a light (old) plastic cutting board with strips on the sides for guidance. This chicken door is so light can't kill a chicken.

The window (second hand window frame with glass cost me a bottle of wine) makes it easier for chickens to roost.

That's why I went with a CoopTender door. It has a number of options--manual, timer, dawn to dusk or WiFi. I prefer to operate it remotely on WiFi so can open and close it when I'm sure the birds are safe--either to come out in the am or inside in the pm. I can access it from any place were I have an Internet connection using my iPhone. The only problem is if there is a power outage but since we have a standby generator that is taken care of. It does have a backup battery and solar panel capability but these require manual operation.
Mine works with my zip code. It changes the time depending on the season. As the day get longer or shorter the door adjust to when to close or open and I can add minutes to the open time and close time. I can also use my own time if I choose to. I didn’t get the WiFi because I have an amazon plug that works with Alexa/WiFi and I can see the lights go on and off when the WiFi signal gets weak. The coop is at the very end of the backyard and it’s too far for the signal

That's why I went with a CoopTender door. It has a number of options--manual, timer, dawn to dusk or WiFi. I prefer to operate it remotely on WiFi so can open and close it when I'm sure the birds are safe--either to come out in the am or inside in the pm. I can access it from any place were I have an Internet connection using my iPhone. The only problem is if there is a power outage but since we have a standby generator that is taken care of. It does have a backup battery and solar panel capability but these require manual operation.
Wow!!! SmartCoop!!!

I’m so sorry for your losses! It’s so hard to go out of town knowing that you could lose animals - losing 1/3 of your flock is really sad!

I use the ChickenGard auto door system and have three of them. They are not perfect, but generally work well and are too light and slow to crush an errant bird.

Our coop has windows and the chickens do well without a light. Guineas though are notorious for refusing to enter a dark coop, so I did buy a solar, dusk activated light for them. However, the light would stay on too long and keep the group awake and restless, so I painted it red. I used it for six months until the cord frayed. Now the guineas are mostly OK going into the dim coop.

Sorry for your losses!
When layers get used to a light in the coop, they will roost much later than normal.
I used to run a light on a timer well past roosting time, and a lot of the layers would stay out till dark, pushing the envelope all the time. They would get stranded once in awhile, especially during summer, too dark to find the coop door or it had closed already, and just squat and fall asleep next to the coop. When my light finally burned out, I had the same issue you did, chickens trying to roost with no natural light left in the sky. My game chickens are not affected by artificial light in the coop, they will always roost early. I'm not providing a light in the coop anymore, and the layers go to bed much earlier, while they have natural light. I think I prefer the coop unlit, chickens are roosting in a timely manner, less bickering come roost time, everyone gets good rest, and it helps gives my sex-links a break from laying during winter. My auto door is from TSheaby's build, and the actuator moves so slowly, I doubt it could shut on a chicken. Plus, I added a tall 5" lip they have to step over, with a small opening 8x10, so there is no standing in the doorway.

Attachments

• 20200104_120917.jpg
    20200104_120917.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200104_120855.jpg
    20200104_120855.jpg
    903.3 KB · Views: 14
87FBA78A-84A1-4957-86F1-3E62DEA56B05.jpeg
87FBA78A-84A1-4957-86F1-3E62DEA56B05.jpeg
So I decided to go away for the first time since I built my coop, almost 1 year ago. Of course that’s when tragedy happens, right? I had a chicken/dog sitter staying and keeping an eye on everything. I checked my run camera while I was away, only to notice one of my hens caught and killed in the auto door. Only to find out another hen was caught on the inside too! Couldn’t figure out why this happened.....had no issues after 10 months. Next night the door closed on another hen and killed her too. There was some reason why the flock wasn’t going inside at night. Had the door unplugged until I got home to see what was going on. I was of kinda baffled........guess what happened......the timer light bulb on the inside burned out and 1/2 of the flock refused to go inside to roost as usual. I got home and saw they were just hanging out in the coop doorway. So now, flock reduced from 9 to 6 hens, I don’t want to use the automatic door unless I have a secondary light of some sort in coop......Anyone here have any suggestions/similar experiences with hens not wanting to go inside a dark coop? I didn’t think I would have to install emergency lighting system for my coop!

I'm SO very sorry about your hens being killed by the door.
My automatic door goes back up if it won't close because of a chicken in the way, it's an Ador1. Plus my roosters have all the chickens in the coop right at sunset so I don't need light in the coop, only for my daily clump pickups. I think I would change the door to one that senses chickens in the way and rises. I rounded up my young chicks and their mom to go in the same time as the others and I did this daily until they 'got the picture' and they'd go to the corner next to the door with mom. Now I have no worries. Just ideas from my experience. The ADOR1 always has 10 options for you to customize the opening and closing times.
I also have five windows (one west facing) and a big old secure screen door (east facing) so all the light inside is natural. It's a big, new build coop having learned a lot of issues with my small old one.

Last edited:
View attachment 1994148 View attachment 1994148

I'm SO very sorry about your hens being killed by the door.
My automatic door goes back up if it won't close because of a chicken in the way, it's an Ador1. Plus my roosters have all the chickens in the coop right at sunset so I don't need light in the coop, only for my daily clump pickups. I think I would change the door to one that senses chickens in the way and rises. I rounded up my young chicks and their mom to go in the same time as the others and I did this daily until they 'got the picture' and they'd go to the corner next to the door with mom. Now I have no worries. Just ideas from my experience.
Sorry about the double pic.

No windows. Only a screened door in the warmer months.

If it's possible to add a window or two, I'd really suggest looking into that as an alternative to electrical light sources. It's just the most natural and user friendly option since you don't have to do anything other than install it.

I also chose a ChickenGuard door mainly because it has a battery option and timer option, as I don't trust a photosensitive door to stay open in an area like mine that can get such severe winter gloom that it could possibly trigger the door to close. I have heard of the possibility of such a door closing on top of a chicken due to cord breakage so I check the cord on it regularly for any signs of wear. Pretty cool to see that there's doors now that can run off a phone app, though I don't leave my WiFi on all the time so that wouldn't help me if I'm out.

I use the Pullet Shut which closes horizontally rather than guillotine style because I was worried about chickens getting killed by an automatic door. If a chicken is in the doorway when it closes, it backs up and it doesn't close very fast to begin with. The light sensor to open and close based on daylight is awesome. It also has 2 extra open-closes, in case a bird gets stuck outside, she has a second and third chance to get through the door. I found it was better to have it close up 30 minutes after dark rather than right at dark to reduce stragglers. (You can set a delay open and delay close by 30, 60 or 90 minutes). Now the birds are used to the door and if it closes with them outside, they will stand right at the door waiting for that second chance to rush inside.

Back
Top Bottom