Automatic Door froze

Jakemedic

Crowing
Sep 27, 2023
SE IOWA
Hello from the frozen state of Iowa!
It was -17f this morning and when I got down to see my ladies, the automatic door was still down. The girls are just fine, hungry and a bit thirsty, but fine. I got a screwdriver and removed the door to allow the girls out of their coop. It is solar powered so I brought the entire thing into the shop to thaw and charge via a usb port. My question is do the girls need a door on their coop? It is a very safe run, so I’m not worried about that. I could make a plywood door with a hinge and go out and open it in the morning and close at night. Is this the best plan? As always, I appreciate people’s advice! Thank you!
Jake

Hello from the frozen state of Iowa!
It was -17f this morning and when I got down to see my ladies, the automatic door was still down. The girls are just fine, hungry and a bit thirsty, but fine. I got a screwdriver and removed the door to allow the girls out of their coop. It is solar powered so I brought the entire thing into the shop to thaw and charge via a usb port. My question is do the girls need a door on their coop? It is a very safe run, so I’m not worried about that. I could make a plywood door with a hinge and go out and open it in the morning and close at night. Is this the best plan? As always, I appreciate people’s advice! Thank you!
Jake
Mine also froze, I was to the coop early to give them water and some scratch when I saw my door failed I believe the solar controller failed on mine. I am no expert but if they are used to being closed up at night I would put a temporary door on, it would keep them warmer also.

Thank you both ! My bride says she would feel better with a door for the ladies so I’m out in the shop to make a temporary one with cabinet door hinges. Should be just fine although that means trekking through the snow twice per day lol. Call me lazy but it’s all good!

Got it in. Everything takes forever in the winter time! One of the girls Regina, checking out my handiwork lol for some reason the snow is very slippery. Not sure if it rained before it snowed or not. Was -2f when I did that. Thank goodness it doesn’t get that cold often here. Going to be -17 again tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_1510.jpeg
    IMG_1510.jpeg
    820.2 KB · Views: 11
Got it in. Everything takes forever in the winter time! One of the girls Regina, checking out my handiwork lol for some reason the snow is very slippery. Not sure if it rained before it snowed or not. Was -2f when I did that. Thank goodness it doesn’t get that cold often here. Going to be -17 again tonight.
Good job. We hadn't had much for winter up until a few days ago and I have had enough. I have to go close my door and reconnect a wire to the auto door in a half hour or so. Load the wood furnace for the night. -6F already.

Good job. We hadn't had much for winter up until a few days ago and I have had enough. I have to go close my door and reconnect a wire to the auto door in a half hour or so. Load the wood furnace for the night. -6F already.
I have the entire automatic door in the shop to charge and warm. Will see if it magically begins to work again. Not going to hold my breath though.
Congratulations on the Packers win yesterday . They looked very good. Unfortunately, I was born a Vikings fan and my bride is a Packers fan. Fun times twice a year!

Back
Top Bottom