Automatic Chicken Door

Pics
Sorry about your problems, but it sounds like it is a matter primarily of design.

I only have experience with one commercial-made auto door (Chicken Guard Premium), but I can't see how it could kill a chicken. It uses a string to slowly raise/lower a relatively lightweight aluminum door (think cookie tray bottom) on a string. If a bird was somehow caught under it, they wouldn't be crushed. Some commercial designs (or home builds) force down the door which might result in crushing.

The thin aluminum door might not sound terribly secure, but it actually works well. It is strong enough to keep out predators and slides up/down in grooves in the frame and there is also a groove at the bottom of the frame so that the door goes down into the groove and a raccoon can't get his claws under it to lift it.

Also, the system can be set to raise/lower manually, based on timers or via lux (light) settings. There are other commercial devices that are very comparable and may have some different features you like. Here is a picture of my setup:

XJ6N5G2.jpg

Sorry about your problems, but it sounds like it is a matter primarily of design.

I only have experience with one commercial-made auto door (Chicken Guard Premium), but I can't see how it could kill a chicken. It uses a string to slowly raise/lower a relatively lightweight aluminum door (think cookie tray bottom) on a string. If a bird was somehow caught under it, they wouldn't be crushed. Some commercial designs (or home builds) force down the door which might result in crushing.

The thin aluminum door might not sound terribly secure, but it actually works well. It is strong enough to keep out predators and slides up/down in grooves in the frame and there is also a groove at the bottom of the frame so that the door goes down into the groove and a raccoon can't get his claws under it to lift it.

Also, the system can be set to raise/lower manually, based on timers or via lux (light) settings. There are other commercial devices that are very comparable and may have some different features you like. Here is a picture of my setup:

XJ6N5G2.jpg

I've been looking at this, does it come with the door that slides or is it only the mechanics?

The door was a separate add-on. Just checked their site and they now have a second type that will automatically lock closed.

Original English site: https://www.chickenguard.com
US site: https://www.chickenguard.us

Oh I see the difference. It's the standard vs. premium.
I've set mine to use light as the trigger to open/close. I don't want my girls out when it is dark. The system can also be setup on a timer or to open/close manually.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom