Automatic Chicken Door

Can you share with me which doors you didnt like and which one you kept??
You can see the ones I returned and the one I kept. It works great.

Attachments

• 69B36089-0B9D-4CD3-9B69-D2B591597BC5.png
    69B36089-0B9D-4CD3-9B69-D2B591597BC5.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 63319FC2-EF58-4C62-8B04-8C51140B6EBE.png
    63319FC2-EF58-4C62-8B04-8C51140B6EBE.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 30
  • D5959CFD-6096-49A7-8B0F-A9EA53C6CC53.png
    D5959CFD-6096-49A7-8B0F-A9EA53C6CC53.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 28
my auto door is on the 6x12 enclosed run. lets then into the open yard everyday. the actual coop is within the run and never closes. It's timed to close about 30-60 min after they return to the run/coop. It always closes sometime after sunset. I almost neve have a bird get stuck outside.

So I decided to go away for the first time since I built my coop, almost 1 year ago. Of course that’s when tragedy happens, right? I had a chicken/dog sitter staying and keeping an eye on everything. I checked my run camera while I was away, only to notice one of my hens caught and killed in the auto door. Only to find out another hen was caught on the inside too! Couldn’t figure out why this happened.....had no issues after 10 months. Next night the door closed on another hen and killed her too. There was some reason why the flock wasn’t going inside at night. Had the door unplugged until I got home to see what was going on. I was of kinda baffled........guess what happened......the timer light bulb on the inside burned out and 1/2 of the flock refused to go inside to roost as usual. I got home and saw they were just hanging out in the coop doorway. So now, flock reduced from 9 to 6 hens, I don’t want to use the automatic door unless I have a secondary light of some sort in coop......Anyone here have any suggestions/similar experiences with hens not wanting to go inside a dark coop? I didn’t think I would have to install emergency lighting system for my coop!
Where did you find the dead chicken? I think my automatic door killed a chicken. I found the door broken and the chicken about 30 feet away. Is that possible for a chicken to flop after dead 30 feet?

It is possible. After we chopped a chicken's head off, If we didn't immediately get them into a burlap sack, it would run across the yard.
Running like a chicken with its head cut off.

Just like with all livestock, any thing is possible. This may burst some bubbles and pīss some people off, but this is reality, and life and death of livestock.
Too many people that are unprepared to raise livestock go buy them all nilly willy . They think they can magically turn livestock into pets. As much as I love my chickens and other livestock, they are dumb animals. There are a few that rise above the average intelligence of their specie.But even the smartest can't even come close to even dog intelligence. Let me rephrase that: Cat Intelligence.
That's not saying much. Cats have very narrow intelligence but even some of the smartest birds, Ravens, have very narrow intelligence. They have certain skill sets that can be considered intelligent,but they can't compare to stupid cats. (And don't give me no crap, this ain't BackyardCats.com)
Like it or not, anyone foolish enough to speculate on raising any kind of livestock must be willing to accept losses. That's just the way it goes. If you don't agree, go back to Bliss Ninny Land mentality and pretend you never lost any animal under your charge.
I'm not getting on any one persons ass, just stating simple facts of life and death.
And you can't have life without death.

Sorry about your problems, but it sounds like it is a matter primarily of design.

I only have experience with one commercial-made auto door (Chicken Guard Premium), but I can't see how it could kill a chicken. It uses a string to slowly raise/lower a relatively lightweight aluminum door (think cookie tray bottom) on a string. If a bird was somehow caught under it, they wouldn't be crushed. Some commercial designs (or home builds) force down the door which might result in crushing.

The thin aluminum door might not sound terribly secure, but it actually works well. It is strong enough to keep out predators and slides up/down in grooves in the frame and there is also a groove at the bottom of the frame so that the door goes down into the groove and a raccoon can't get his claws under it to lift it.

Also, the system can be set to raise/lower manually, based on timers or via lux (light) settings. There are other commercial devices that are very comparable and may have some different features you like. Here is a picture of my setup:

XJ6N5G2.jpg

Sorry about your problems, but it sounds like it is a matter primarily of design.

I only have experience with one commercial-made auto door (Chicken Guard Premium), but I can't see how it could kill a chicken. It uses a string to slowly raise/lower a relatively lightweight aluminum door (think cookie tray bottom) on a string. If a bird was somehow caught under it, they wouldn't be crushed. Some commercial designs (or home builds) force down the door which might result in crushing.

The thin aluminum door might not sound terribly secure, but it actually works well. It is strong enough to keep out predators and slides up/down in grooves in the frame and there is also a groove at the bottom of the frame so that the door goes down into the groove and a raccoon can't get his claws under it to lift it.

Also, the system can be set to raise/lower manually, based on timers or via lux (light) settings. There are other commercial devices that are very comparable and may have some different features you like. Here is a picture of my setup:

XJ6N5G2.jpg

I've been looking at this, does it come with the door that slides or is it only the mechanics?

Back
Top Bottom