1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Automatic Coop Door opener.. Any that go HORIZONTALLY?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FRlEDeggs, Nov 27, 2011.

1. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    I've been looking around, and seems like all automatic coop doors go vertically. Are there any that go horizontally that are cheap?? Also they can't be bulky.. not much space! Will post a picture of the coop later

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't seen any with horizontal sliding doors but the one called pullet shut has a swinging door that swings to the side. http://www.chickendoors.com

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    We used a regular chicken door coop motor and swung the door sideways. I have a picture somewhere.. hmm.

[​IMG]

We've upgraded the door and block since then but you get the idea. there was no room up top, so it swings out![​IMG]

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    We looked for one for the last year and finally gave up and just relocated our door to use a vertical automatic opener. We even looked for ideas Gary could build he tried several of his own ideas w/o any success (and he got pretty creative)

5. mudmucker

mudmucker New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I have a electrically operated cylinder that on used on an old 10 satellite dish that rotated the dish. I'm working doing that very thing with it. It is larger than I wanted but it's what I have. My way of thinking is that to direct connect to the door will work better than finding a way to make the door slide. We'll see.[​IMG]

7. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    You could have a door OPENER that was horizontal, but it wouldn't close it again, unless you had another one on the other side to pull it closed. you'd have to sync them perfectly so one releases cable while the other reels it in.

8. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by