Automatic coop doors. Why or why not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cupman, Feb 4, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I really hate having to be home every single night to put my chickens to bed at 5pm and was considering getting an automatic coop door. I haven't checked them out in a couple months but I remember they cost around $125 and you had to build some of it yourself. I don't mind doing that, I'm ready to get a timer. So basically I'm just wondering why you chose an automatic door or why you decided against.

Any good alternatives?

2. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    We like ours, just for the reason you said,if we get home after dark I don't have to go out the and close them in. I also like looking out in the mornings and seeing them already running around outside.

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    For me it is a no.
    I have gotten up and ready for work. Let my LARGE dogs into the kennel and found a fox sitting there waiting for me to open the coop so he could have breakfast.
    I need to feed and water every day so why not just open the coop manually?
    It keeps mine from having a fox or raccoon just march right on in.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  4. kappelmd

kappelmd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2012
    Burlington, KY
    I like having an automatic door for both opening and closing. It makes life easier when I need to travel for work. If you search automatic chicken doors on google and/or Youtube you will see lots.

I just modified my manual door and added a timer and the drapery rod motor that most of the people I know have used. Here is a link for the D-20 motor. You will need to purchase a timer separately. I am using a Brink 44-1040 timer that I got from Walmart. I acutally have two of the timers one for the coop door and one to "extend daylight" with some white Christmas lights.
    http://www.chickencoopdoor.com/show...98&pageid=257591&storeid=54121&siteid=1&cid=0

5. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I love mine!!! Opens at 0600 and closes at 1800. Have bought 2 more for my other chicken coop that we are building
    Ayda

6. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I thought about it too, but then realized that I'm in the barn morning and night to feed and let out the horses, so it's just a few seconds more to do the same with the chickens. Decided to save the money.

7. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    i just installed a solar paneled door from mypetchicken and i would recommend it to anyone...its a bit pricey but it has been awesome the past week and it feels so good to know that my girls are safe without me having to go out every morning. automatic chicken door = lazy chicken farmer. But you gotta love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by