automatic coop doors

I have a few Pullet Shut doors and one home made door with a Chicken Guard opener. I like both types. The Pullet Shut is VERY sturdy and I am sure it would stand up to a predator. The Chicken Guard is easier to program but I don’t think it’s as secure.

Both have a light sensor so I don’t have to open or shut the doors at dawn and dusk.
where did you order your pullet door?

anyone use a automatic coop door? I am building my coop and was looking into them. what do you have?
I know you are most likely asking on commercially sold doors but, I say build your own. These doors are often made cheap and are not really all that strong. AND THE COST WOW! I have read reviews on all these doors and they all had reviews that say they die and bad customer service. Yes they have good reviews as well, but if it does die you won't be able to get it fixed. At least not without buying their components that they will most likely sell at a high cost. But why bother. If you build your own you will learn how to fix it and replace small parts on your own.

Here is a video, I just made to demo this example, on how the SONOFF 4CHPROR3 can be used to open and close at sunrise and sunset but also be controlled by remote. Via RF remote, Phone or PC. I also added the Safety Return Up/Down Feature with pressure switch. It will go up and down until the obstruction is cleared OR it reaches a Attempt Count Limit. Then it stops and holds at the most closed/shut position it can. Video below. Only took 30 min to wire. Timer version in background (video on that one later). Only takes a few connectors, the SONOFF, an $8 counter and a Triple Pole Double Throw Relay. Will be making a diagram for the one in the video but I just put it together a bit ago.

Don't get discouraged when you see the wiring up on the board. This is a test board with Linear Actuator where I test out most of my wiring setups, so it has to accommodate a multitude of components. The setup I am proposing only needs a limit switch on top and pressures switch/bar, that anyone can make, on bottom of door.

The MHCOZY 4CH WiFi RF Wireless Switch and/or SONOFF 4CHPROR3 both can handle WiFi and they both have RF remote control capability. SONOFF costs $10 more but well worth it.

If that doesn't do it for you I might have a few other options. I also have a multitude of wiring diagrams. I even have some for the vehicle antenna door but, I completely DISCOURAGE the use of vehicle antennas for chicken doors.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ldjQ1tkBt8HznjDsUMlA14M7dZHDLPgr/view?usp=sharing

P.S. This SONOFF is four channel. You only need two of those channels. The other two can be used for automated lights, feeders or water heaters.

Last edited:
I do have experience with the Pullet Shut door customer service and they are excellent. One of my goats chewed the power cord AND the light sensor cord and they had replacements available and sent them very quickly. They had heard that story before, so if you have goats make sure the cord is not accessible.

Goats! :rant

I have the Chicken Guard door and opener. I had to fiddle with the door tracks a few times to get the door to slide closed reliably, but that's because I'm an idiot without a level.LOL. The dusk to dawn sensor works perfectly even under the massive trees that shade my entire backyard. I've been using only battery power since I installed it two years ago, but it does have the ability to plug in with a USB-a that I haven't wired up yet. Cutting a trench to run electricity to the coop just isn't in the budget so far, so I run an extension cord down for the heated water pan in the winter. I know it's a risk to use the extension cord, but it is plugged into an outdoor GFCI outlet. Eventually I'll bite the bullet and figure out digging a trench through the mass of trees and maybe run water to the coop too.

Have owned 5, run-chicken is my favorite of the ones still available, but I haven't had a pullet door some mention above.

My only issue with run-chicken is it won't fit turkeys.... Anyone know of an extra large door for my newest flock of feathers?

Have owned 5, run-chicken is my favorite of the ones still available, but I haven't had a pullet door some mention above.

My only issue with run-chicken is it won't fit turkeys.... Anyone know of an extra large door for my newest flock of feathers?
ADOR2 is a larger version of the ADOR1. It is advertised for turkeys.

There is also this door that is advertising for use with Geese. VEVOR Automatic Duck Door Opener. Just note that it is shipped from china.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom