Automatic Door FAIL ... best one to replace or create? (now that I already cut the darn hole)

CorinneBHappy

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2020
Last night a predator got into our coop. Either the auto door didn't close (it's supposed to have a red light warning if the battery is low, warning is not 'sounding'), or it was pried open (which I can see as being very easy for a raccoon or fox to do with little issue, as it's a rope and pulley type deal with nothing holding the door down, and I wasn't smart enough to not have it end at the floor versus leaving a bit of a lip for it to close behind.

We have used several types of doors over the years. I've had the auto open sideways (swings like a human door), I have had the one that goes up and down with a turning metal apparatus moving it, which comes encased and framed already as well. And now this one....I have found flaws with them all.

I'm wondering if anyone has any photos of how they installed their auto door that has functioned PERFECTLY for more than a few months?

Alternatively, anyone have any ideas on how to take this current rope and pulley system and use it to create more of a draw bridge idea? I'm thinking it will make way more sense to have a wooden door that swings up from a bottom hinge versus just a thin piece of metal and a nylon rope between the carnivores and my birds!!!

I will for sure be raising the hole a bit (still have to insulate the exterior of the frame and put on siding anyways) so the straw doesn't get in the way of it closing and allows for the metal to not be just resting on the ply...

I screwed a piece of wood over the hole for now so nothing is getting in there tonight for sure...birds won't be able to get out tomorrow but that's ok!!! I'll fix it at least temporarily tomorrow and put some new batteries in etc.

Looking forward to your ideas, reviews and feedback etc.

Thanks!

I have an Ador1, and am very satisfied with it for 3 years now. Not sure, but it sounds like you went thru one of those in your post descriptions. So here is another option to modify your Pop door, and still use the current opener power unit. If you are somewhat handy, this is the easiest option.

Here is another one, but a little more complex.

and another.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Super duper!!! I am slightly better than novice in the handyman department. The second or third one seems perfect for the setup we currently have. I can use the motor and pulley already attached to the door and just include the auto locks!! Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom