automatic door for chickens,advise needed

Thank you for qualifying that, it's good you have the engineering background, that will be a help....it's just when you say 'far cheeper' I have to really wonder if that's gonna work for most people. As for pretty, who cares, I don't...you prob didn't see my before pic so all I care about is effective and durability. I'm just saying that if i had to buy everything, and have my husband program it and machine it together...it wouldn't save a dime. :)

On the clock timer - yes, I did mean that I change the time on the clock timer so that it opens in the morning a couple hours after dawn. I don't have to change it that often.

On getting your own motor, they're available several places...even most of the folks that sell the doors sell them separately if you want to buy one. Here are a few places:

http://www.add-a-motor.com/Model D20 Motor for Chicken Coop Doors.htm

http://www.automaticchickencoopdoor.com/door-motor/

I've seen them other places as well...

We got the Pullet Shut door, it's working great. Now I can get some extra sleep each morning.
smile.png

I have mine exactly one year to date. Mine worked perfectly. Couldn't be more happy with it! It cost more than all the lumber in building my little coop, but it is worth every penny. I have the solar panel that has worked everyday since it was installed...cross my finger and hope it will continue to work for another year or two or three!

I also recommend the Pullet shut door. I have had mine for 2 years and it hasn't failed me or my hens yet. I got the solar panel and mounted the battery inside the coop up on the edge where the roof and rafters meet. I built a little box for it. The hens leave it alone and it's not in the weather.

Went with the solar charger even tho we have power to the coop. .... works awesome and uses free power. ... door is sturdy and on the timer so they don't get out too early. ... great investment!

Back
Top Bottom