Automatic doors, dusk and lighting?

The Lazy L

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Automatic chicken door that closes at dusk.

Do you have a coop light on to help the chickens enter the coop and get ready to roost before the door closes? Then have the coop light turn off?

Or chickens don't need a coop light, they know to get ready to roost before dusk and the door closes?

My auto pop door closes right after dark so the flock is already on their roost. I use no lights however I do have a light for inspecting the birds if need be.

I installed an auto door about 1 month ago.... It is on a photo sensor & closes about 30 min later then I would if I were home. the flock puts itself away apx 30 to 45 minutes prior to the door closing. It is very dark by the time the door actually shuts its self. There is even a safety that opens it back up after 1 minute, stays open for 10 sec & then closes again (Last chance). I have not had any problems with anyone getting locked out.

I LOVE IT!!

Sorry I got so excited about the door I forgot to mention that it is dusk when everyone heads inside. I do not have any lights & I have not had a problem with anyone not finding their way. they go in when they would normally go inside... auto door or not.

I installed an automatic door which is on timers. My birds are lazy about roosting up. They sometimes don't roost until it is almost dark-thirty. My door stays open about 45 minutes after dark. Noone has ever gotten locked out. Mine works great, which sure helps when nobody is around to close the coop up.

Looking to revive this thread with a question for those who posted about automatic doors:
  • what brand of door did you purchase?
  • How is it holding up?
  • Solar or Electrical run to coop?
  • Timer or photo-sensor?

Looking for your advice and experience!

Built my own. Used existing door & wired up a electric car antenna to open & close the door. Have it on timer & opens early & closed about dark. Chickens have been better about roosting up before dark.

Looking to revive this thread with a question for those who posted about automatic doors:
  • what brand of door did you purchase?
  • How is it holding up?
  • Solar or Electrical run to coop?
  • Timer or photo-sensor?

Looking for your advice and experience!

-Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door
-100% awesome; we have had no trouble with it at all and the install was a snap
-Solar
-Timer (opens at 7AM and closes at 9PM)

So far, just can't complain about this door. It wasn't cheap, by any means, but it has been worth every penny. We don't have to get up at dawn on weekends any more to release the chickens or worry about getting home to close them up. We haven't had anyone locked out yet (and we do check).

As soon as I read DustyChickens reply I assumed they had the same as Mine.

Pullet-Shut, on solar with a light sensor. This door cost as much ($270) as my entire 8 X 10 coop cost to build and I don't regret a penny of it. It was extremely easy for an old woman with no skills to install. I had one minor problem when I first installed it, and the customer support was quick & friendly. Solved my problem immediately. It was actually a problem with where I placed the light sensor, nothing wrong with the door at all.

My birds have always gone in between 30-45 mins before the door closes. No one has ever been locked out. It is much closer to dark than dusk when it closes. It opens at pretty much first light. I watched the girls come out the other morning. It was obvious that it opened up early enough that they weren't clustered at the door banging to get out, in fact I suspected from the rate of exit that it was the door opening that woke them up.

The pullet shut allows you to override the light sensor if you wish (storms, etc). I can't say enough how much I love this door.

ETA: Oh, I have no light inside the coop, just lotsa window area.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the responses!

Does anyone care for swing open door vs guillotine style automatic doors. I believe that we could make both work.

Also regarding security? Has anyone had trouble with predators prying doors open?

Back
Top Bottom