Automatic doors - predator

RRTXCHICKS

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 18, 2013
Hello all: I searched for automatic doors and predators but only found recommendations, etc. Our concern is whether an automatic door is basically an automatic feeder for predators. Here's what we imagine...the door opens and a coyote is just waiting for them to come out. Maybe as I type this, I'm realizing its just not for us but im curious if anyone has experience with this. Are these doors for city dwellers only? We really like the idea of not waking up early but being out in the country....not sure if its feasible. Thoughts? Thanks!

Thanks. Yeah I guess I should have added that ours are total free range. I know that makes a difference. Thanks again.

Isn't total free ranging already like a predator buffet? I have an Ador automatic door on my coop that is within an electric poultry net fence and I love it. IMO, the auto door removes my least favorite part of chicken keeping, being there sunrise and sunset without fail.

Sure, that could happen. But, do you know your predators? Do you have a game camera up? You might be interested to see what shows up sniffing around. You could install electric fencing too. Many have a run that they let them out into, but there are some on BYC that only free-range, no run, only a coop.

the other issue that pops up more frequently with auto doors is locking a predator IN with the chickens at night. Many tales of opossums and raccoons in thecoop -often hiding- before the door closes.

I don't have to worry about opening the pop doors because I don't shut them but I have a lot of protections for my birds. I also don't free range anymore. You are lucky if you haven't lost any birds yet while free ranging. We are rural on a dead end road. Everything I have done is because of losses in the past. I have electric wires around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens. So far nothing has gotten past the electric wires. I have several cameras up. Most of the predators roam here at night but I have seen some during the day. A fox killed my special bird during the middle of the day. I caught the fox and eliminated it. Since I have seen more fox. I have seen coyotes during the day but mostly in the spring when they have their young. Good luck...

Attachments

• DSCF0010 01.jpg
    DSCF0010 01.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF0012 20.jpg
    DSCF0012 20.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 17
I assume night time predators wouldnt stay up past dawn to learn that your door opens at the same time each day. You could even put more of a time buffer in there if you wanted - your chickens can wait a little bit if need be. And I also assume day time predators would probably prefer going after them one on one than going against your whole flock.

Back
Top Bottom