Automatic egg turner broken - what is best way to turn eggs?

Gardencottager

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
Hi, I have an incubator that should work by automatically rolling the eggs when they are lying on their sides. This isn’t working properly so I’m going to need to do it manually and am trying to figure out the best way. Should I

Turn each egg by hand 3 or 5 times a day with x and o marking the opposite sides? I don’t really like opening the incubator that many times as I’ve got 11 eggs to turn and am worried about having the incubator open that often for the time it takes to turn them? Plus that’s time consuming

Or can I tilt the whole incubator by putting books under one side then the other? This is quicker and doesn’t involve opening the incubator but does it actually work for eggs lying on their sides? I know people do it when the eggs are fat end up but my eggs are on their sides and I wasn’t sure if it is enough turning when in that position?

I’m really unsure what is the best way so I’d really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience doing it either way. Thanks

Thanks for the replies

The eggs are held in place so they don’t move when I tilt the incubator but they are on their sides. If anyone else tilts their incubator with eggs on their sides what angle/how high do you lift it?

Would turning the eggs 3 times a day be enough if I was going to do the x to o method? How many times do most people turn their eggs for successful hatches?
If you hand turn the eggs do it every 6 hours, if the 6 hour time frame goes past your time to sleep, turn them before bed and again when you wake up. That's what I'm doing with my Swedish flower eggs. There developing well.

For tilting the incubator to work well, you would need to have the eggs in cups or otherwise immobilized so you could be sure they were all turning, and not just rolling over 360 degrees. I think you might be able to modify egg cartons for this use.

Marking an x on one side and turning by hand is the tried and true method. It is time-consuming, that's why we all buy the auto-turners. You won't have to turn them constantly, just a few times a day, but make sure it's an odd number of times, so that the long turn cycle (overnight, while you sleep), is not the same side every night. Opening the incubator to do this should not cool it down too much. Remember that the hens get up to eat, drink, stretch and poop a couple of times a day, and that doesn't stop the eggs from hatching.

Thanks for the replies

The eggs are held in place so they don’t move when I tilt the incubator but they are on their sides. If anyone else tilts their incubator with eggs on their sides what angle/how high do you lift it?

Would turning the eggs 3 times a day be enough if I was going to do the x to o method? How many times do most people turn their eggs for successful hatches?

For tilting the incubator to work well, you would need to have the eggs in cups or otherwise immobilized so you could be sure they were all turning, and not just rolling over 360 degrees. I think you might be able to modify egg cartons for this use.

Marking an x on one side and turning by hand is the tried and true method. It is time-consuming, that's why we all buy the auto-turners. You won't have to turn them constantly, just a few times a day, but make sure it's an odd number of times, so that the long turn cycle (overnight, while you sleep), is not the same side every night. Opening the incubator to do this should not cool it down too much. Remember that the hens get up to eat, drink, stretch and poop a couple of times a day, and that doesn't stop the eggs from hatching.

Thanks, it’s helpful to hear others experiences. I’ve also gone with the turning three times a day so hopefully all will go well. I’ll find out in 11 days 😀

I have heard of people tilting eggs in cartons, but not the whole icubator, interested to see what people think here too

Back
Top Bottom