Automatic waterer with toilet float - safe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by seann, Jan 16, 2014.

1. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    It looks like a good idea minus the leaks the guy had, I have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples and it is easy enough to fill it up with a hose or a bucket in the winter.

3. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

That float is an awesome idea yes, that nipples and equipment is sometimes to expensive but works great anyways, I also use any thing that I can lay my hands on to make something out of nothing, as long as the chicks dont think you have put it there to use as an toilet, then, hahahaha

4. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    $75 bucks (reserver still not met)? I think it's a bit too expensive for waterer.
    5gal Bucket+lid = $5, pvc pipe plus connectors/adapters = $5-15 plus nipples $1/ea --- total around $15-$40 max

5. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    You neglected to add 10 feet tubing 1 float valve. That's another $20.00 or $30.00. If you are not handy ( like me ) it saved 4 or 5 trips to the store. I installed it in a few minutes. When I was all done it looks like I had a professional do it. I am sure it is not for everyone but for me it gets a thumbs up!

6. ericandi

ericandi New Egg

Apr 12, 2015
    This is a great idea but there is no need for a 5 gallon bucket. It holds to much stagnant water at any one time. A 4 inch X 2 feet PVC pipe with caps on the top and bottom works great. Its just enough room for the toilet float and a separate out flowing PVC pipe that runs into coop and run. You can T in so you can run one line into the coop and another into the run. There is a great video on Youtube with the 4 inch PVC pipe to hold the toilet valve instead of a 5 gallon bucket. The idea is the get as close to fresh real time water as possible. You don't need or want a large reservoir because the water heats up and can get bacteria. Better to have a PVC pipe just slightly larger than the toilet float.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by