Automatic waterer with toilet float - safe?

seann

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
Last edited:
It looks like a good idea minus the leaks the guy had, I have a 5 gallon bucket with nipples and it is easy enough to fill it up with a hose or a bucket in the winter.

That float is an awesome idea yes, that nipples and equipment is sometimes to expensive but works great anyways, I also use any thing that I can lay my hands on to make something out of nothing, as long as the chicks dont think you have put it there to use as an toilet, then, hahahaha

$75 bucks (reserver still not met)? I think it's a bit too expensive for waterer.
5gal Bucket+lid = $5, pvc pipe plus connectors/adapters = $5-15 plus nipples $1/ea --- total around $15-$40 max

$75 bucks (reserver still not met)? I think it's a bit too expensive for waterer.
5gal Bucket+lid = $5, pvc pipe plus connectors/adapters = $5-15 plus nipples $1/ea --- total around $15-$40 max
You neglected to add 10 feet tubing 1 float valve. That's another $20.00 or $30.00. If you are not handy ( like me ) it saved 4 or 5 trips to the store. I installed it in a few minutes. When I was all done it looks like I had a professional do it. I am sure it is not for everyone but for me it gets a thumbs up!

This is a great idea but there is no need for a 5 gallon bucket. It holds to much stagnant water at any one time. A 4 inch X 2 feet PVC pipe with caps on the top and bottom works great. Its just enough room for the toilet float and a separate out flowing PVC pipe that runs into coop and run. You can T in so you can run one line into the coop and another into the run. There is a great video on Youtube with the 4 inch PVC pipe to hold the toilet valve instead of a 5 gallon bucket. The idea is the get as close to fresh real time water as possible. You don't need or want a large reservoir because the water heats up and can get bacteria. Better to have a PVC pipe just slightly larger than the toilet float.

This is a great idea but there is no need for a 5 gallon bucket. It holds to much stagnant water at any one time. A 4 inch X 2 feet PVC pipe with caps on the top and bottom works great. Its just enough room for the toilet float and a separate out flowing PVC pipe that runs into coop and run. You can T in so you can run one line into the coop and another into the run. There is a great video on Youtube with the 4 inch PVC pipe to hold the toilet valve instead of a 5 gallon bucket. The idea is the get as close to fresh real time water as possible. You don't need or want a large reservoir because the water heats up and can get bacteria. Better to have a PVC pipe just slightly larger than the toilet float.
Can you post a link to the video?

I bought a couple buckets from lowes, and these cups and made my own waterers for cheap!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201020-214214_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020-214214_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 6
I bought a couple buckets from lowes, and these cups and made my own waterers for cheap!
Thank you so much for letting me know! I guess I never thought anyone would actually LEAVE this forum rofl. I built water buckets and used pvc pipe and nipples but I can’t keep my girls from roosting on them! It breaks the seal and then they leak lol so I was looking at different ideas and came across that post (didn’t look at the date). Thank you for sharing the suggestion. I may have to try those. LOVE BYCs!!!!

Back
Top Bottom