1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

automatic waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sgt pepper, Dec 20, 2008.

1. sgt pepper

sgt pepper In the Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    I on occasion need to be out of town for a week or two.. have settled the feeding problem by building a feeder to hold 100 lbs of pellets, anyone have any ideas on waterers, i'm shy of hooking up a garden hose to the bowl type, im afraid the hose will burst... thinking of making something that would be gravity fed, i have 28 layers. Any ideas will be appreiciated, thanx

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Check out Cutler Supply they have the best prices and look at the bell waterer. I have one hooked up to a 6 gallon water bottle and it works great.

3. chicamarun

chicamarun Hatching

Mar 8, 2007
    Purcellville, VA
    We got bell waterers from Farmer Ag Boy - google it to find the website - Joe found it for me and I have a ton - LOVE them!!

They don't do well with freezing weather though - so watch that if you go away during cold weather.

We have it hooked directly up to our water pump outside with a 2 way connector so we can use the other side of the water pump as needed. Then we adjust the pressure by closing off one end.

Other cheap thing we use - a stainless steal dog waterer. Right now being that it's 30 degrees outside.... we use these. Now I disconnect every night and drain it and start them back up in the morning - but you can place a heater under it and insulate the tubing better. I just don't have a plug out there for a heater (just extension cords running to the coop for lights right now)

Hope this helps some!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: