Automatic watering devise

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by old tom, Mar 19, 2012.

1. old tom

old tom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    South Austin since 1963
    This isn't an invention, but a development of existing systems.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Very timely - I've been researching how to set up an automatic watering system for myself. Unfortunately, the pics are so small I can't read the text associated with them - would you mind giving me a step by step on how you put this together?

3. WaldensRidge

WaldensRidge Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2011
    Red Bank, TN
    Can we get some larger more hi res photos? Its hard to make out the details so I can copy your idea[​IMG] Thx!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  5. old tom

old tom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    South Austin since 1963
    Finally got internet service restored after the lightning knocked it out last Tuesday.
    I found the toilet fill valves without the bulb type float at Home Depot for under $6. with the
    float pictured, I had to replace the long threaded rod that came with a piece of 1/4" all thread
    so it would fit into the bucket. The slider float is much better.
    I bought the watering nipples from Avian Aqua Miser and added a 3/8" I.D. O-ring to ensure a
    good seal. If you have a drill press, an "R" drill and a 1/8" NPT pipe tap, installation of the nipples
    is fairly easy. For the toilet fill, I drilled a 15/16" hole in the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket. Then I
    went to the home center and got a supply line, 3/8 to 3/4 adapter, and a 3/4 to water hose adapter.
    Under $10 for the toilet supply line and two fittings to connect a water hose.
    My friend who has 2 year old hens tried it out just today and they took a little while to figure it out,
    but when they got thirsty enough, caught on and were pecking at it by mid afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by