Automatic Watering Systems

rtroxel

Songster
10 Years
Nov 26, 2010
Southern Wisconsin
Hello all,

I am wanting to install a freeze-proof watering system in my new barn. Anyone have any good ideas? I figured the only way to do that would be to have it constantly moving/pumping when the temperature is below about 32.

Thanks in advance!

Rudy

We have a freeze proof semi-automatic system. You can see pics and descriptions on my page. You can circulate or heat with stock tank / bird bath de-icers. We also use 5 gallon buckets with nipples. 26 birds, 5 nipples, 1 bucket.

Sou can keep the waterer from freezing by placing it on top of a heat source. Lots of folks will use light bulbs.

This one is a great idea and I'd like to thank the poster for sharing

thumbnail.aspx

or buy one:

thumbnail.aspx

I thought people kept ponds from freezing by placing floating balls in it.
If that can work for ponds, why not small buckets? The ball will move to stop
the ice forming...?

Quote:
Yes. I too have heard about folks putting tennis balls in their water buckets. I suspect that might help, but I'm not sure if it will work on those real, real cold days (might still help, though)

Quote:
So do you all think I would need to circulate the water and heat it a little? At least in one or two stations? Or should I just heat the pumping station? I was hoping to use less electricity by just pumping and not pumping and heating. But I would waste a lot of money if I burned up a pump and had to run all new pipes...

Quote:
So do you all think I would need to circulate the water and heat it a little? At least in one or two stations? Or should I just heat the pumping station? I was hoping to use less electricity by just pumping and not pumping and heating. But I would waste a lot of money if I burned up a pump and had to run all new pipes...

It really is going to depend upon your temperatures. Circulating water will not freeze to very cold temps, but the down side is it will 'super' cool. The deicers keep the water at about 35*-40*. If you insulate your tanks, you will save some electricity. You point is really good that if the pump fails, the whole system will freeze. with heating this will happen also, but you have a store of energy that will have to be removed for freezing to take place. There are plusses and minuses for both, we chose heat due to -30* lows, return lines, and piping. It all came down to simplicity for us, things go horribly wrong with our temps, so the simpler the better.

Back
Top Bottom