Water for winter?

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Ok, this will be my third winter with chickens. I have a waterer i use in the summer but it cant be used in the winter. I also have a normal 1 gal watere that the bottom cracked using it the last 2 winters.
I bought a heated waterer that uses the nipple watering system they wont drink out of it. So im going to train the new chicks that are hatching to drink out of it.
What does everyone reccomend? The coldest it got here last year was negative 20 without windshields.
It only needs to be able to keep water unfrozen for a day ill immediately replace it the next day.

And one that wont break easily

Thanks in Advanced

I did get 2 big green heated water bowls, last winter. they work great. I had those heated waterer red and white towers they ended up being junk though. (They were given to me.) Before that I would use those black plastic salt lick pans, they do end up getting cracked, usually not the first winter though. I would still use them, and when they crack I would still use them for feed.
I am home all the time so I would always bring fresh water, but the heated bowls are great if I have to go away for a day or 2.

I did get 2 big green heated water bowls, last winter. they work great. I had those heated waterer red and white towers they ended up being junk though. (They were given to me.) Before that I would use those black plastic salt lick pans, they do end up getting cracked, usually not the first winter though. I would still use them, and when they crack I would still use them for feed.
I am home all the time so I would always bring fresh water, but the heated bowls are great if I have to go away for a day or 2.
Thank you! Im home almost all day to. Just dont want to haul water.

I bought a heated dog water bowl at TSC. It lasted 2 seasons. I didn't think twice and bought another one. It made my life SO much easier.

I cut the cord off the one that quit working. Now it's just a nice big water bowl that is too big for the chickens to flip over.
heated dog bowl worked great last year! I turned it over at night (so it wasn't turned on all night) and filled it up in the morning, and it kept it from freezing, even when it was -30c!
I didnt think of that! Maybe ill try this!

I use this water year round. During the winter, I will add the heated base.

47733_A_copy_400x476.jpg

Screenshot_20230901-193355.png

Back
Top Bottom