Autopsy on Strange Deaths, Have you seen this before?? -- WARNING GRAPHIC PICS

Garlic can be toxic to birds. Stop using it.
ACV once a month isn't doing anything.
Turmeric and cayenne aren't riding worms either.

Fat birds are not healthy.

Are you feeding treats daily or often?
Lol, sorry they arent "fat" like obese, juat normal. They are fat compared to these guys tho!

They get a handful of scratch at the end of the day and the occasional mix of left over meats and veggies. Maybe left overs like 2 or 3 times a week. But between 65 chickens, its not much per chicken.

Thats interesting garlic is toxic, tons of sites say use it in their water.

Blue-green algae is deadly to chickens. http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/blue-green-algae-poisoning

If the cockerels were used to scratching around on the burn sites, they could have picked up any and all sorts of toxic stuff, from petroleum distillates to heavy metals.

You may have an environmental super-fund site. https://www.epa.gov/superfund
Yuck! That blue algae could be it. The only thing is, the site says they would be dead within hours. Still, for safety, ill look into how to kill whatever is in our puddles.

Ill dig into that superfund site... God i hope our property isnt that bad!!

Lol, sorry they arent "fat" like obese, juat normal. They are fat compared to these guys tho!

They get a handful of scratch at the end of the day and the occasional mix of left over meats and veggies. Maybe left overs like 2 or 3 times a week. But between 65 chickens, its not much per chicken.

Thats interesting garlic is toxic, tons of sites say use it in their water.
@casportpony Do you happen to have the toxic garlic article written by the veterinarian handy?

There is a ton of stuff/internet bloggers who have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to repeating stuff they heard online.

@casportpony Do you happen to have the toxic garlic article written by the veterinarian handy?

There is a ton of stuff/internet bloggers who have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to repeating stuff they heard online.
Onions are much higher in thiosulphate than garlic, so small amounts of garlic are not toxic, but onions likely could be.

I use Oxine AH in my drinkers, once or twice a week to control algae. The water is emptied on a regular basis but I don't scrub the drinkers with soap and water every single day. Exposure to sunlight seems to accelerate algae/slime growth in my experience.

To those who are curious, i moved my entire flock to a new huge concrete building. Scrap'd the old coops and made them a new 1/2 acre run in a fresh section of the yard. This new coop has access to hose water, no standing puddles (or algae) or areas where trash was deposited (by the previous homeowner). I had my goats work the area and get rid of alot of brush and shubs to get some sunlight in the new closed run section.

I still lost one recently (same symtoms as the others) but she was very thin for months and I am honestly suprised she didnt pass when the others did. All the remaining chickens from this past summer's hatch are normal weight and laying now.

I've concluded that every chicken i lost due to illness this year had the same Rooster dad. I will be keeping him around (because he is gorgeous and a great Roo). But i wont be hatching anymore of his babies.

I am hoping for a better 2022 season! 🤞🤞

Back
Top Bottom