Autosexing breeds

Quote:
A breed is either Autosexing or it is not there is no, "semi-autosexing" breeds that I am aware of or herd of.

Have you looked for markings on the wings

If there any good reds they will not have marking on there wings at hatch.

These are are Rose Comb R.I. Red chicks.
33115_dsc_0202.jpg

These are there parrents
33115_copper-b-iii.jpg

33115_red_hen_-_iii.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
If so I would believe that they would be a more commercial strain of R.I. Red and not a "True" R.I. Red.
I also would like to see the pictures of the ones Omniskies was referring to.

Chris

Unfortunately I can't. I don't have the space to work with Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires - as much as I might want to. Here is a quote about sexing them:

Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire: The presence of a white or light spot on the wing front of Rhode Island Red or New hampshire day-old chicks has also been usd for sex identification. Males have spots of varying sizes in the region of the wing web, while the wing color is uniform in females.

Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire: The presence of a white or light spot on the wing front of Rhode Island Red or New hampshire day-old chicks has also been usd for sex identification. Males have spots of varying sizes in the region of the wing web, while the wing color is uniform in females (Jaap, 1946). Jaap obtained sexing accuracies of 90-95% and 80-90% for Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires, respectively. He also reported that accuracy could be improved by selecting breeds on the basis of their chick down color, for instance by selecting males with large white spots on the wings. The genetic and/or endocrine basis for the sex difference is not known, although it obviously does not involve the barring gene.

I've been really, really, really tempted to add Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires to my breed list. But I'm already in over my head and need to stay focused on what I have
smile.png

Quote:
I've been really, really, really tempted to add Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires to my breed list. But I'm already in over my head and need to stay focused on what I have
smile.png

I believe they are referring to a more commercial type Rhode Islands or what we call today a production red.

Chris

Last edited:
Considering how popular Production Reds had become at that time, I'd like to think that they would know the difference between a Rhode Island Red and a Production Red. But since I don't have any genuine Rhode Islands here to test the theory I couldn't swear by it.

If you ever get the chance to look into it yourself with your chicks I would be interested to know what you found out.

But...at what point did the more commercial strain of Rhode Island Red become the Production Red? It must have just started out as someone else's bloodline that eventually ended up looking very different, but laying much better! I suspect at the time that piece was written, those differentiations may not have existed and it's all lost in the wash now.

I assume the commercial strain of Rhode Islands would have come about when hatcheries decided what they had was a Rhode Island Red and dubbed it a commercial strain. But I could be wrong.

"Semi-autosexing" refers to anything that isn't a 100% autosexing breed. Welsummers are semi-autosexing because they can be sexed at birth at an 80%~ accuracy - again, depending on the strain. That means that you can't guarantee that what you are looking at is a pullet. There's a good chance it is, but since the markings aren't 100% true you're not going to get a batch that can be 100% autosexed.

As for your pictures (which I missed because I'm really slow about finishing a post
smile.png
, I understand that Rhode Islands don't have any white markings on their wings as adults - they also don't have white throats (which chicks have) and other white markings found on the babies that vanishes as they get older. I can't see the wings of the chicks in the pictures you posted to see what markings they might have.

I finally found the article where I CPed my information so I'd have it on hand. You can do your own reading about the findings here: http://books.google.com/books?id=VM...page&q="brown leghorns" sexing chicks&f=false

You will have to scroll up a bit to get to the beginning of the Semi-Autosexing portion. I found this link when I was hunting down information on Brown Leghorns ages ago. Brown Leghorns being a semi-autosexing breed.

Quote:
But...at what point did the more commercial strain of Rhode Island Red become the Production Red

I would say pre-1947.
I believe it was in the early to mid 1940's they started to breed for a "Production" or "Commercial" style Rhode Island Red for a more productive brown egg layer, some Rhode Island Red stayed pure, but others had Leghorn crossed into them.

Chris​

More than a few years ago, I think it was Feathersite.com that I first came across Autosexing Breeds as were created in England in the late 20's early 30's. The Cream Legbar was first called a Crested Legbar and welbars (from Welsummers)
I saw were still around even in few numbers, some of the others were not... I had at that time a big beautiful Buff Rock and thought of recreating Brockbars... ( Buff Rock X Barred Rock)... but found that you would have a huge amount of culls in this being Buff is created with many many genes,... I had too at that time New Hampshire Reds.. I really love... So I started out to recreate Hambars.... and now after many many many many did I say many ? culls .. I have them....
smile.png
I love them....
Hambars....
Since I am a new member and can't post urls to my pics... Take a look at my posts on backyardpoultry.com .... in the breeds and breeding forum...

Keith
SC

Back
Top Bottom