Autumn chicks-when can they go to the coop?

Amazonlover

Songster
10 Years
Oct 11, 2013
Maryland
Hi all, I got my first chicks in September (they were hatched on 9/11) and I was planning on putting them out in the coop when they are seven weeks old but am now concerned that is too early because nights will likely be dropping down to low 40’s when they are seven weeks old. I do have electricity in the coop, so could put a space heater out there. For completeness the breeds are: buff Orpington, barred rock, australorp, Easter egger, and silver laced wyandotte. Thoughts?

Oh wow! I did not know that. And I have certainly not been weaning them off heat :(, but I’ll certainly start now. Thank you @rosemarythyme!!!
I don't know what temperatures you currently have them at (or what heat source) but you can reduce the heat in the brooder as well as taking them out for an hour or two as long as you have a coop or run ready to go so they stay safe and have some option of shelter. Gradually increase time outside and decrease temperatures in brooder (I usually turn it down every 5 days, this is with a heating pad) and depending on the temperature difference in a week or two they can fully move out.

Back
Top Bottom