Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by tiki244, Mar 1, 2012.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have gone through tutorial and tried to change my avatar about 50 times with no sucess. Sorry if this has already been adressed but I have looked everywhere that I can think of and my computer is running super slow with the new BYC so if anyone can help me it would be much apreciated. Thank You

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I wonder if the site is acting wonky because it is not really compatible with the server you are using. I think there was some discussion of that somewhere on BYC after the change over. I am using Google Chrome and the change over went smoothly for me, but I know a lot of other folks were having problems.

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Here are a few questions that will help us find, duplicate, and hopefully resolve the problem:

• Did you receive any error messages? if yes, what were they (please copy and paste the entire message, screenshots are best)?
    • What were the exact steps you took before having the problem? Please be as specific as possible so we can do exactly what you did.
    • Which browser and version are you using (eg., Firefox 3.5.9, Internet Explorer 7, etc.)
    • Have you logged out, deleted your internet cache, logged back in, and tried again?
    • Have you tried a different browser?

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Hi ~~ it took me a little while to find this. I am not sure what a browser is and what a server is. Are they the same thing? How do I find out what I have? I will go right now and redo the avatar installation and come back with some of the things you ask. :)

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Delete my internet cache? That sounds useful if I knew what it was maybe I could.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]Well it worked! Hu Sure make me out to be [​IMG]a liar. Well it took half an hour to do. I suppose I was being more patient than usual. Is there a place I can go to get help to speed things up? Maybe I should know how to dump the cache.

Thank You guys [​IMG]

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Your browser is the program you use to get on the internet, i.e. Internet Explorer (blue "e" with a gold halo), Mozilla Firefox (red fox circling a blue circle), Google Chrome (forget what it looks like.... it would remind you of Google though :p), Safari (compass), etc. To find out if you should update, you can google whichever browser you have and check.

Go to "Tools" on your browser, and click "Internet Options." On IE (Internet Explorer) 9, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Be sure the temporary internet files, cookies, and maybe history are checked and then click delete.
    [​IMG]

Glad it worked!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Thank You Lothiriel!!! [​IMG]Your so smart! I did exactly what you said and the visuals really really helped.

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Glad I could help ya! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by