annageckos

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 6, 2009
SE PA
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am trying to get an avatar up. The problem is it fits pixel wise, but is too big KB wise. But no matter how how small I make it it is too big in KB. Any suggestions?

Have that trouble with animated ones. If you have an editor you can cut out some of the frames, thus lowering the overall size of the thing. But if not then you're pretty well stuck. Found THE cutest little one and couldn't use it... it was one full chicken dance, if I edited it then it would only be 1/2 or 3/4 of the dance, not worth it. But if yours is someone/thing doing a thing more than once then you can edit it to where it is only doing it once and it'll cycle the 2nd+ on it's own.

I don't have any editing software at the moment or I'd give it a go... used to have one, didn't totally master it, then had to reformat so this is just what little bits I recall from about a year ago. Hopefully someone's more current.

It's not animated. It is one of my own photos. I cropped it down, and then shrank it. This is the first time I have had a problem. I have other avatars on other sites, all my own photos. But thanks for the suggestions.

I do not see any options for size. This is what I see,

Set your avatar display options

An avatar is a small image that will be displayed with all your posts. You can upload an avatar by clicking the link below. The checkbox 'Use avatar' below must be checked in order for the avatar to be visible in your posts.
Use avatar.

Upload avatar

I then click 'upload avatar', then I get this,

File
Browse

Then

I pick my photo and I get this

The file you tried to upload is larger than the maximum allowed 15240 bytes.

My photo is 91 pixels wide and 90 pixels high, but is 22.1 KB. I can get it any smaller (KB)

Oops, sorry, my fault, I thought you could select one of the photos from your uploads to use as an avatar...
hide.gif

I am using paint to edit. That is what I always use for avatars. I also have windows live photo gallery. I use that to fix up and crop my photos. I am not sure if I can shrink them with that. With paint, no matter how small I make the photo it won't go smaller then 22 KB. Even thou my photo is more then 1/2 the size of the ones I see on this site. I am not sure what I can do. I am getting a bit fed up with it right now, so I am going to take a break from it. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help. Hopefully I can get it figured out.

If it's a new version of paint you should be able to do it on the Image > Resize or Image > Attributes screen.

I don't have Windows Live Gallery however, from what I found googling it looks like you need to open the gallery, select the image, right click and in the menu that pops up choose resize.

Back
Top Bottom