Average height for heat lamp?

QuispamChiks

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 16, 2011
Quispamsis
Curious if anyone has noticed a set height-temperature ratio?

For example 3 feet from floor is 95deg 4 feet is 90 deg etc? Just setting up and wondering how much room to leave above brooder.

I suppose thermometer is best method!

Quote:
Not much help here.

In indor situations 60 or 75 W bulb hang about 12 to 16 inches above will do.

Chicks will tell you by behaviour it they are comfortable. ( stretching off light source - too hot or cuddling together - too cold)

Quote:
x2 as well as where you are brooding them...indoors or outdoors. I started my 2-day old chicks outside in the shed (won't do that again) and due to the temps here in Colorado fluctuating so much (we can vary as much as 50 degrees in 1 day...fun!) I was constantly out there adjusting them up and down so as not to have fried and/or frozen chicks. My next batch I started in my guest room where at least the temp could be controlled within about 5 degrees. MUCH EASIER on me, and them too I think.
smile.png
So I guess there is really not one set ratio unless you are brooding indoors. I used a 250 watt heat bulb (red) for both brooders, but rarely had to move the one in the house. Hope that helps a little bit and good luck!
D.gif

Quote:
It would depend on the wattage of the bulb and the rooms temperature too many variables. Just put a cheap thermometer at chick level that way you know for sure what the temp is.

Quote:
Not much help here.

In indor situations 60 or 75 W bulb hang about 12 to 16 inches above will do.

Chicks will tell you by behaviour it they are comfortable. ( stretching off light source - too hot or cuddling together - too cold)

I answered her question......it does depend.

Back
Top Bottom