Average lifespan of a Cayuga and a Welsh Harlequin?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Number1Sticky, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Number1Sticky

Number1Sticky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    I was wondering what the average lifespan is of a Cayuga and a Welsh Harlequin duck? Not mixed. But the separate breeds? I have one of each and was just curious. Also how old was/is the oldest duck you've ever had?

2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    THe average lifespan of a healthy duck kept in a good environment free of stress and with the proper nutrition is about 9-11 years.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a Muscovy drake going on 9 years.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

WOW!!! That's a long time. Congrats on that. :bow

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks kuntrygirl, he is still chasing the girls too, but has slowed down quite a bit, doesn't catch them as often as he use to... [​IMG]

6. Jen C

Jen C Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Oak Run, CA
    I had a mixed breed (Runner X) female duck make it to 17 years old! She moved to 3 different houses with me over the years. I have had Call ducks live between 12 and 15 years and pure Indian Runners go from 10 to 14.

7. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I didn't know duck could live that long!!! I have a 2 year old cayuga, and maybe a 2 1/2 week welsh harlequin. That would be awesome if they lived that long! :D

8. gramdragon

gramdragon New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    I have a Cayuga duck that will be 10 years old in April 2015. She is mostly white now and no longer lays eggs. She now thinks she is a drake and has developed the curled tail feathers typical of a drake. She also tries to mate with my chickens. This behavior began after we lost our rooster several months ago. Very odd, but I understand it is not unheard of.

I had two runner ducks who lived into their teens. One was 14 and the other was 16 when they died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by