Avg. cost for 6 or 12 eggs shipped

For shipping Kings? Or for the actual eggs?

Thanks for all the helpful info. I do understand that folks with the show quality chickens charge a little more than the average. I understand that and I am sure that most everyone does. But thanks so much for all the info. This is great.

Marie

I pack differently than most everyone else seems to...I mail my eggs in an egg carton in the box (each egg is wrapped in newspaper in the carton) and then the carton is surrounded by newspaper & bubble wrap too, and I've yet to have a broken egg reported. Anyhow, w/this method I can fit either a 1 dozen carton or a 1.5 dozen carton in the large 'flat rate' boxes just fine = $8.95 anywhere, even Alaska (I just did!) and for me, it's just SO much easier to know it's always going to be the same amount. So, I've always charges $9 for shipping, but I am about go to to $10, just b/c of the tape/bubble wrap costs. Luckily my PO isn't 2 miles from my house.

Hi Marie,
I'd suggest getting a set of scales(a kitchen scales will suffice).
You can put any weight (your average egg and packaging weight and get the total to anywhere.

I do things 'just the way I do things', but I would never put eggs in a Flat Rate Priority box if the same size box (Priority Mail) would be less expensive (and I llike the size of the Flat Rate Box --- I turn it inside out if it suits the situation).

((I'm in SC, so everywhere is a looong way from here))

$8.65 vs $5.30 in actual shipping (just a random box that just went out).

The usps gets an extra $3.35 per transaction or I don't charge it to the customer in the first place.

Same size box, just the PO doesn't offer a 'not flat rate' box in the same size.
Seems kind of crazy to me to *give* USPS extra money.
If you weigh the box and 'Flat Rate' is cheaper, that's great.

There will always be situations that are different (especially if you are moving a box 'cross country),
but I've rarely encountered a situation where FlatRate is cheaper than regular Priority Rate, unless it it a BIG box of eggs.

Good luck with shipping eggs
smile.png

It is really exciting for me that eggs laid here hatch all over.
More than you wanted, Marie, but I hope you found a fragment that helps.

I have a breakdown of the cost per egg (my cost) to ship an egg safely.
It's one of those things

smile.png

Lisa

I do the same. Use a kitchen scale to weigh box and go to USPS.com and check out the postage or I will use Paypal(if this is the payment method of customer) shipping. If you use Paypal shipping, delivery confirmation is free. A $0.65 charge if you walk in. I use USPS boxes(free at the local PO or online at usps.com) I double box all my shipments. I will ship up to 20 eggs in the small flat rate box. A 30 egg flat cut in a 5X4 is a perfect fit. Place a double layer on bottom and double later on top. I have had no eggs broken since I have went to this method. Wrap all eggs in buble wrap and firmly place them in the bottom flat. When full, place the 2 top layers of flat and close first box tightly to prevent any movement. Tape it and then wrap up outside box. I do this to not show any of inside box.
smile.png

I have had very good success shipping eggs to all over US, Alaska and Hawaii included. I am 6 for 6 to Hawaii in 2 days. But can't get them 200 miles in under 3 days, go figure.

I charge $12 for shipping and handling to anywhere except Texas. I charge $10 to Texas. I figure that the time spent, tape, egg flats(buy them new so as not to contaminate any eggs with anything), paper, ink, etc. makes up the other $2+ dollars I charge. Also, this is for 20 eggs. Hope this helps.

Danny D

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your helpful info. and maybe this thread will be helpful to others too. I am just starting out and most of the eggs I have shipped have done well, except for when they have humidity issues etc. That is a great idea about turning the flat rate box inside out though. I have never had to pay $8.95 (close but not quite). I will see if I can find a kitchen scale so I can use that and print postage at home from paypal and save that $.65

Thanks again. I look forward to getting more eggs from some of you later on. You guys are great.

Marie

Marie you can google USPS for their product supplies. They will ship you boxes for free in lots of 20to 25. I like to have some of the smaller 7X something priority boxes and I only order the 8.95 flat rate boxes. It depends on how far they are going and how manyeggs I am putting in as to which I will use. The post office has the discretion to give you free priority tape. I just ask for a roll and since I ship a lot they always oblige. I also order the 1000 roll of priority stickers to stick my bubble wrap or paper towels around the eggs. You can order three rolls at a time. Also you can order the labels to go on the boxes. All of these products are free and they will ship to you and you get them in a weeks time. I always call the number and order it that way, but you can do it over the computer if your address is not crazy like mine. I live in one county and have and address for another.

Thanks, I did order some of th 7x7 boxes and shoe boxes and another size, can't recall off hand. I did order a roll of labels and use them on the bubble wrap around the eggs too. I did not know about the priority tape though, will have to try to get some when I go back to the P.O. Saturday. I have been charging $25 for 12 eggs shipping included and $15 for 6 eggs shipping included. I don't have show quality eggs and I am just putting them out there to get opinions and get started if that makes sense. So I don't want to over charge but I want to be fair to myself too. Looks like I have been pretty much on track. I may go to $10 plus actual shipping on 6 eggs and $20 plus actual shipping on 12? I just want to be fair to everyone but not cheat myself. I use newspaper in the box instead of packing peanuts, so I am basically recycling. I have been using materials that I received from others but that makes me think about the cross contamination. Had not thought about that. Although I do use my own bubble wrap and use the priority stickers to tape it on. I was only re-using the egg cartons and packing peanuts and stuff like that. So I don't think it would be a problem. Plus, I have only gotten eggs from people on here, that I trust. But I will keep that in mind. Thanks so much for all the info. This turned into a great informative thread. Hope others like me just starting to ship will get lots of info here. One other question, for those of you who have shipped live birds. How much do you charge for shipping, the box, etc. Have you ever lost an adult bird in shipping? Thanks again.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom