Avian Aqua Misers ???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Keeahskreations, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Keeahskreations

Keeahskreations Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Has anyone tried or heard of the Avian Aqua Miser kits? It is a watering system using nipples (kind of like what gerbils and hamsters use) for chickens. I am looking to change the watering system I currently use, which is the vacuum bowl that sits on the floor of the coop and catches all the debris. Yes I could hang the current bowl, but something isn't right with the lid and any lift to it makes the water at the bottom come out fast and create a mess. So buying something is in my future anyway. I would prefer something that would be more clean for the birds and less work on me.. [​IMG] lol

I like the concept of the AAM kits, but my husband is skeptical.. Can anyone tell me anything good or bad about them??
    thanks!

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    The poultry nipples are great and I'd highly recommend them. However, there are plenty of far cheaper sources than Avian Aqua Miser. You can get the nipples from QC Supply and put them in your own bucket for a tiny fraction of the price. It's so simple, anyone could make their own.

3. WinklerFarms

WinklerFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Central Minnesota
    The drinker cups work great too, and in my experience the birds take to them faster.

Either way the best prices you will find are on eBay from coops n more.

4. WillsC

WillsC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    I bought the nipples from Ebay, about 50 cents each.....work great. If you have chickens that have trouble getting the hang of it just unscrew one part way so that it leaks and drips. Once the bird associates it with water after a day or two you then tighten the nipple to stop the leak and the bird will still use it as it then knows that is where the water comes from....works every time.

5. WinklerFarms

Aug 17, 2011
    Central Minnesota
    It also works to push the nipple with the birds beak so water comes out.

6. colburg

colburg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Loving, NM
    I bought my nipples from AAM. They are more expensive, but the reviews on the cheap chinese ones offered on ebay were pretty horrible. I only have 4 installed right now in the bottom of a 1 gal. apple juice jug(My chicks are only 2 weeks). I plan on using them with a 30 gal. drum and PVC in the future.

The only probem I have with the plastic jug is when drilling the holes, the bit rips the plastic and they will leak from not getting a good seal. This was cured witha little silicon. The PVC will drill much easier and leaking shouldn't be a problem.

One more thing, there are push in nipples and screw in nipples. Just beware of what the seller's selling if you have a preference. The AAM nipples are screw in.

7. WinklerFarms

Aug 17, 2011
    Central Minnesota
    I have the cheap nipples and I think they work great. The problem some people had with them was leaking where they screwed in, which can happen with any of them. Just make sure the metal in the nipple is stainless steel, otherwise they will rust causing them to stick and leak.

8. WillsC

WillsC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Really? I just looked on Amazon and Ebay and the reviews were great. I am using 30 or so of them for a year now and they have been flawless. If the reviews of them had been bad I would not have bought them.

9. tsisqua

tsisqua Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2016
    I agree that there are less pricey options out there, but I opted for the Avian Aqua EZ Miser because I'm not the handiest lady on the planet. LOL, I just put together a PVC portable run, and by the time I was done, had purple fingers, glue all over my clothing, and looked like I'd been in cat-fight from working with the chicken wire! My girls love the EZ Miser, and it's a great, poop-free water!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by