Avian Bird Flu - Preventatives?

I was reading one article that said to make sure that if you have a run, it has a solid covering, and the fence surrounding your run was covered to prevent wild birds from entering to get to the feed. So... poultry netting it is! Pain in the ars, but totally worth it to protect your flock. We have all invested way too much time, energy and love into these birds to have them simply wiped out. It comes down to this, we do what we can... ALL that we can, and we pray it works. Right now, my county in Iowa is surrounded by it. The hatchery where I got my chicks is surrounded also. And, unfortunately, my DIL's family co-ops with the place that just went positive 2 days ago. They also have a large commercial turkey farm in Buena Vista County. They must test daily and maintain strict biosecurity. This is a nightmare... but, it happens every few years. My main concern is protecting my flock and making sure they are all healthy and safeguarded. I'm trying not to consider how these things will affect an already stressed food chain and inflation. It will drive me crazy. The wild birds that are so accustomed to me feeding them are quite angry with me right now. But unfortunately, they are all public enemy #1 till this is over.... 🤷‍♀️
Yeah, I was looking at the Iowa HPAI map this morning and saw how McMurray's and Hoovers literally have it at their doorstep. I can't imagine the stress they must be under. I've decided if cases start popping up in Arkansas, I will build a small covered run off the coop inside my big run. I will end up breaking all recommendations for run size but it can't be helped. I would only be able to put in a 20 ft x 10 ft covered & protected run maybe...and I have 56 birds in my coop. But I'd rather have them stressed from being crowded than lose my entire flock! :( I simply have limited options. The best I can do is try to maximize vertical as well as horizontal space in that area.

My flock of 42, which does include some bantams, has been locked in their 24' x 13' coop, covered run, which fortunately has five separate areas where they can be out of sight of each other, for weeks now. So much for free ranging this spring!
Everyone is doing fine, way better than having them all dead at once over this.
Mary

I used to feel guilty that I didn't let my chickens out, ever. I wish they could have more space, but they have a nice, safe-as-I-can-make-it run.

As soon as it stops being so dang wet and cold, they'll get some weeds out of the garden too. And I'm going to build them a jungle gym. Or should I call it a play station?

First I should say that I seriously LOVE this thread! The killing of all can be somewhat understood to a degree but it's really frustrating knowing that some ducks aren't even showing signs of illness but still being culled because a flock member on the property has tested positive. I can see how it's cost prohibitive to test every bird and even if it test negative today, it could be positive tomorrow. It's frustrating all around! Another thing is how fast it kills. It's almost impossible to perform a trial when it's subjects have so little time. So while I love the thinking on this thread, just thinking about many different scenarios and the pros and cons of each has my heart hurting a bit. I truly hope this wonderful drug can be tested on h5n1.

First I should say that I seriously LOVE this thread! The killing of all can be somewhat understood to a degree but it's really frustrating knowing that some ducks aren't even showing signs of illness but still being culled because a flock member on the property has tested positive. I can see how it's cost prohibitive to test every bird and even if it test negative today, it could be positive tomorrow. It's frustrating all around! Another thing is how fast it kills. It's almost impossible to perform a trial when it's subjects have so little time. So while I love the thinking on this thread, just thinking about many different scenarios and the pros and cons of each has my heart hurting a bit. I truly hope this wonderful drug can be tested on h5n1.
I agree...it's just senseless to not be making a concerted effort to find a treatment when it is causing this type of economic damage. And this isn't the first time, right? People who say that the industry doesn't care because they just claim it against insurance don't realize the full weight of starting over. It isn't just the financial cost of the birds themselves...it's time, effort, and other resources. And some of these farms are NOT corporations but family owned for generations. The individual I spoke with does a lot of work with Tyson and with research facilities across the country. He indicated that they are doing some testing in Atlanta, but he wasn't sure if Ivermectin was something they were testing.

After a lot of reflection, I think my protocol will be the following if/when it arrives in Arkansas:
1. Build a covered run inside my big chicken yard that will allow me to keep wild birds out. My birds will need to stay caged for a few weeks in smaller-than-recommended conditions which they will HATE but I would only do this if it becomes necessary.

2. If I have ANY bird that shows symptoms, I think I will start trying to treat with Ivermectin. If I'm going to lose 95% of my birds anyway, what do I have to lose? If it works, great! If it doesn't, well...I'll end up losing most of the flock anyway.

I agree...it's just senseless to not be making a concerted effort to find a treatment when it is causing this type of economic damage. And this isn't the first time, right? People who say that the industry doesn't care because they just claim it against insurance don't realize the full weight of starting over. It isn't just the financial cost of the birds themselves...it's time, effort, and other resources. And some of these farms are NOT corporations but family owned for generations. The individual I spoke with does a lot of work with Tyson and with research facilities across the country. He indicated that they are doing some testing in Atlanta, but he wasn't sure if Ivermectin was something they were testing.

After a lot of reflection, I think my protocol will be the following if/when it arrives in Arkansas:
1. Build a covered run inside my big chicken yard that will allow me to keep wild birds out. My birds will need to stay caged for a few weeks in smaller-than-recommended conditions which they will HATE but I would only do this if it becomes necessary.

2. If I have ANY bird that shows symptoms, I think I will start trying to treat with Ivermectin. If I'm going to lose 95% of my birds anyway, what do I have to lose? If it works, great! If it doesn't, well...I'll end up losing most of the flock anyway.
And up the vitamin and healthy stuff if they are in a confined area... Hang cabbages, even if they are store bought. Give them pumpkin and cinnamon (high in antioxidant and antiparasitic). The health benefits are CRAZY!!! These things are twofold... Healthy and helps with boredom!! I have added Oregano essential oil to water, to make sure they have some extra protection.

And up the vitamin and healthy stuff if they are in a confined area... Hang cabbages, even if they are store bought. Give them pumpkin and cinnamon (high in antioxidant and antiparasitic). The health benefits are CRAZY!!! These things are twofold... Healthy and helps with boredom!! I have added Oregano essential oil to water, to make sure they have some extra protection.
Great ideas! If I end up adding a covered run, I'm also going to try to maximize vertical space and lots of places to break visual contact so they can get away from bullies, if needed.

Hopefully I won't have to resort to these measures.... :fl It hasn't made it to Arkansas yet but I'm sure it is just a matter of time.

Zovirax,ivermectin( single dose) great for Mareks,Newcastle,these and other antivirals ,can save birds.Zoos will treat ,not kill.They have to protect species existence.
Mobic great for Mareks maintenence.Helps keep tumors legions,small.
Also,these humane euthanasia’s ,are anything but humane.Worst horrors realized.

Back
Top Bottom