Avian Flu (H5N1) - Discussion

Have your birds been affected by the Avian Flu?

• Total voters
Disturbing trend in the chart here. Affected farms have gone from commercial properties to almost exclusively small backyard flocks.

I'd bet the poster from one of my previous comments is Crow Wing Site 01.

mnhpai.jpg

I found this info on a Dutch site (levendehave.nl) about symptoms in hpai h5n1:
The first symptoms of bird flu in poultry are:
  • overall marked lethargy
  • the animals don't make a sound anymore.
Then follow:
  • breathing problems
  • sudden death
  • decrease in water and feed intake
  • drop in laying
  • no and pale shells
  • diarrhoea
  • swelling and bluing of comb, wattles and legs
  • eye infections
  • nervous symptoms

You forgot to tag me :p
I have not purchased any new birds in several months. Our local farmers swap and stock auctions are closed for any bird sales. So my new chicks are not being sold. I built an additional outdoor pen and added netting to all my coops including covering any spots where a wild bird could gain entry and on top. Deer netting is fairly strong and attached with cable ties. My pullets and chicks are kept separate. Additionally there is no bird seed in feeders and bird bath is dry so as not to attract any wild birds to my yard.

We have a couple of cases in North Texas, but nothing in the south. Before I would agree to put my birds down, I would get more than one test. At least 3. I have never trusted labs.
In my country you don’t have a choice. The test is free. But if the gov. institute finds the HpAI all chickens/poultry is killed asap.
If you go to a private lab for the test. They are obliged to report it to the gov. Institute. So that would be spending money for nothing.

The last outbreak they discovered was in the beginning of May. Hopefully another week to go to ease up the restrictions.

Edited may 2

Last edited:
In my country you don’t have a choice. The test is free. But if the gov. institute finds the HpAI all chickens/poultry is killed asap.
If you go to a private lab for the test. They are obliged to report it to the gov. Institute. So that would be spending money for nothing.

The last outbreak they discovered is from 2 mai. Hopefully another week to go to ease up the restrictions.
Same in the US.

2 mai? What is this?

Bird Flu: What You Need To Know

Bird Flu: What You Need To Know

Over the past few months, the United States Department of Agriculture discovered cases of deadly avian influenza in U.S. poultry flocks, alerting producers. Meanwhile, an outbreak of avian influenza was reported in a flock of backyard birds in Fauquier County, Virginia. In December 2014, the...

Back
Top Bottom