Avian Flu (H5N1) - Discussion

Have your birds been affected by the Avian Flu?

• Total voters
How has the Avian Flu effected your flock?
If any of your birds have been infected, how did you overcome this and make sure it didn’t spread to the other birds? Treatment methods?

My flock has not yet been infected, thank God.

Some things I found interesting.
Opinions?

No mine had covid

I found this info on a Dutch site (levendehave.nl) about symptoms in hpai h5n1:
The first symptoms of bird flu in poultry are:
  • overall marked lethargy
  • the animals don't make a sound anymore.
Then follow:
  • breathing problems
  • sudden death
  • decrease in water and feed intake
  • drop in laying
  • no and pale shells
  • diarrhoea
  • swelling and bluing of comb, wattles and legs
  • eye infections
  • nervous symptoms
Any indication of how long from first symptoms to deterioration and death?

Any indication of how long from first symptoms to deterioration and death?
I believe it acts very fast. One person in WA whose chickens got it said they were "dropping like flies" the day after a crow got in with them. :(
True. It acts really fast. One day you think you’re flock is okay. The day after seeing the first symptoms (maybe even the same day) you can have several deaths.

But just like with the human flew, it seems to decrease now the temps are rising.

I am not in a panic, or worried in the slightest bit. My flock is happy and healthy. I believe the "bird flu" is being made into a big deal that it really isn't. There are hundreds if sicknesses that any chicken could catch. To put it simply, they are kind of twisting it around....just like Covid.
I agree! I’ve lost 3 chicks and 2 adult hens in the past 3 weeks. I took the last hen’s body in for a necropsy and if it’s positive for Avian Flu, I’m supposed destroy the flock. I don’t understand this, because wild birds are the most obvious spreaders which can’t be controlled. My birds don’t leave our property. If they are sick, I will either treat or euthanize, but if not, why kill them? Wouldn’t their immune systems just be stronger? “They” are doing the same thing with this as with Covid. Trying to control the virus and controlling us in the process. Their science in that case was seriously flawed.

I agree! I’ve lost 3 chicks and 2 adult hens in the past 3 weeks. I took the last hen’s body in for a necropsy and if it’s positive for Avian Flu, I’m supposed destroy the flock. I don’t understand this, because wild birds are the most obvious spreaders which can’t be controlled. My birds don’t leave our property. If they are sick, I will either treat or euthanize, but if not, why kill them? Wouldn’t their immune systems just be stronger? “They” are doing the same thing with this as with Covid. Trying to control the virus and controlling us in the process. Their science in that case was seriously flawed.
There is no cure. And in the chicken industry most chickens die anyway. I read somewhere up to 90%.
Because (in the Netherlands) the industry is more powerful than the backyard chicken owners, they try to eliminate everything possible.

In theory, there is a possibility to vaccinate. But the chicken industry doesn’t want this, because of the export restrictions. Selling abroad is more important than killing millions of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom