Avian Flu Lockdown -- 3 Cockerels in 32 Square Feet

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Not good photos, but I was limited to either taking pictures through the wire or juggling the camera while trying to prevent escapes. Still, I think that these photos of 18-week-old Blue Australorp cockerels (who are still *slightly* smaller than adult hens of their breed), make a good illustration of how the usual space guidelines look by comparison to actual birds.

This space is 4x8 -- coop enough for 8 or run enough for 3.

0130220845.jpg
0130220845_HDR.jpg
0130220846_HDR.jpg
0130220846d.jpg

Not good photos, but I was limited to either taking pictures through the wire or juggling the camera while trying to prevent escapes. Still, I think that these photos of 18-week-old Blue Australorp cockerels (who are still *slightly* smaller than adult hens of their breed), make a good illustration of how the usual space guidelines look by comparison to actual birds.

This space is 4x8 -- coop enough for 8 or run enough for 3.

View attachment 2977730View attachment 2977731View attachment 2977732View attachment 2977733
Judging by your title, do they have “the flu”?

Judging by your title, do they have “the flu”?

No, not at all. I'd cull them immediately if they did.

Avian flu has been found in wild birds in North Carolina and it's been recommended to keep poultry confined away from contact with wild birds and their droppings for 30 days. So I've put my flock under lockdown.

I thought the photos made a good illustration of live birds in a common space footprint for people who are getting ready to build. :)

No, not at all. I'd cull them immediately if they did.

Avian flu has been found in wild birds in North Carolina and it's been recommended to keep poultry confined away from contact with wild birds and their droppings for 30 days. So I've put my flock under lockdown.

I thought the photos made a good illustration of live birds in a common space footprint for people who are getting ready to build. :)
As one who learns best by visual demonstration I appreciate the pics. Good to know what a tight space looks like and how to confine birds in the face of avian flu outbreak.
It seems common sense to provide more space than the minimum under lock down to minimize fights, particularly with roos. Also the hen that bully.

As one who learns best by visual demonstration I appreciate the pics. Good to know what a tight space looks like and how to confine birds in the face of avian flu outbreak.
It seems common sense to provide more space than the minimum under lock down to minimize fights, particularly with roos. Also the hen that bully.

In Neuchickenstein I have about 23? (I keep forgetting to count them now that I've done the final weeding-out), in a 16'x16' square coop and, compared to when they get to go in and out freely they still look a little confined to my eye that's used to seeing them spread over 3 times the space. :D

How are they temperament wise? I currently have production blues hens (mixed between RIRs and blue australorps) and they re seriously the best breed of chickens I have ever owned. When we get ore land I want to get a rooster ad a hoping that this breed is a bit easier than others. Here's 2 of my 5 girls.

Attachments

• 20200825_201236.jpg
    20200825_201236.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200629_194128_149.jpg
    IMG_20200629_194128_149.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 3
How are they temperament wise? I currently have production blues hens (mixed between RIRs and blue australorps) and they re seriously the best breed of chickens I have ever owned. When we get ore land I want to get a rooster ad a hoping that this breed is a bit easier than others. Here's 2 of my 5 girls.

I don't have any adult male Blue Australorps yet, but so far the cockerels, who have been raised in a mixed flock with adult hens and a senior cockerel (8-month Black Langshan), have been well-behaved. No guarantees with 18-week cockerels, of course.

I make a point of walking through them regularly -- sometimes unnecessarily rearranging run clutter, etc. so that I appear to be just doing my thing rather than coming across as challenging them -- and so far they have always yielded to me, but not panic-fled.

The hens are lovely in temperament -- calm, but active and curious. Cordon, one of my two adult hens, was a serial broody who promises to be a good mother this year. They're reliable layers of 55-60g, light brown eggs.

I don't make pets of them, but they'd squat for me and they follow me around the run as I work.

I'm still learning the genetics and breeding part, but IIRC you'd get variable results from breeding Production Blues since they're a cross.

I do think I got lucky with these 5 and that they took on the australorp temperament. I've had RiRs and they were not the greatest temperament wise. O my try some pure australorps and see how they are. I've wanted some but have to be a bit realistic that black australorps probably won't d well in our summers. I now there's blues but I currently have so any blues 

Back
Top Bottom