Avian Flu Near Me

Quick Update:

No new cases in my state, the closest recent cases have been in North Carolina. I haven't really done anything to protect my chickens (I'm not sure if that's the brightest idea). I did find a hurt bird last Wednesday, from what I can tell it most likely hit my house as it was still hopping around when I found it. It looked as if the bird may have had eye problems or that might have been because it hit the house, nothing else since then. I have stopped feeding wild birds in my garden where a majority of my chickens hang out, I do still feed the birds in my backyard where my friendliest hens sometimes hang out. Is there anything more I should do?

The CDC, NIH, USDA, DNR, you know all the usual suspects.
Actually, I haven't seen anything like that anywhere, except one alarmist article. The truth is, no one knows, but generally, nature has a way of healing itself. I'd be stunned if this continues into the summer, because for one thing, the virus survives best in cool dry conditions. Yes, it might be back in the fall, but we'll see. I want to see an article from at least one of the sources named above, saying the virus will continue for 12 to 18 months, and how they know for sure that's going to happen.

This may sound silly.....but being new to chicken keeping I was wondering should you suspect avian flu in your area whom should you contact?

I ask as a friend of mine about 6 mile from me was just talking about the unusually hugh number of dead wild birds she is finding in her yard that don't show signs of being attacked. She lives in the country. When I told her there was an out break of avian flu in several states she asked who she should contact and of course I don't know who. There are reported cases in Kansas but only 4 or 5 and none in counties less than 70 miles from my area.

This may sound silly.....but being new to chicken keeping I was wondering should you suspect avian flu in your area whom should you contact?

I ask as a friend of mine about 6 mile from me was just talking about the unusually hugh number of dead wild birds she is finding in her yard that don't show signs of being attacked. She lives in the country. When I told her there was an out break of avian flu in several states she asked who she should contact and of course I don't know who. There are reported cases in Kansas but only 4 or 5 and none in counties less than 70 miles from my area.
I would contact the County, DNR, and your local farm vet, and your local Extension office.

Call your State Department of Agriculture! Bear in mind they will want to come and test her flock and yours, if the dead wild birds test positive.

@Melissa67137
Try this link ~>
Report sick birds

- It has the reporting phone number on it…

- I do know from experience that they will only consider an investigation if you have found 5 or more deceased wild-birds on your property in the same day/occurrence…

- Stay safe!

Last edited:
Quick Update:

No new cases in my state, the closest recent cases have been in North Carolina. I haven't really done anything to protect my chickens (I'm not sure if that's the brightest idea). I did find a hurt bird last Wednesday, from what I can tell it most likely hit my house as it was still hopping around when I found it. It looked as if the bird may have had eye problems or that might have been because it hit the house, nothing else since then. I have stopped feeding wild birds in my garden where a majority of my chickens hang out, I do still feed the birds in my backyard where my friendliest hens sometimes hang out. Is there anything more I should do?
URGENT UPDATE:
One of my Australorp hens (3-4 years) suddenly died today, no known cause of dead he comb was purple and she was still warm when I found her, she seemed to have a liquidy stomach and was oozing some out of her rear. Just half an hour ago I noticed one of my bantams not doing good, her comb is turning purple and she has yellowish diarrhea. I’ve had a few soft shelled eggs recently but I though that may have been a nutrient deficiency. I am isolating my bantam. I want to call my state AG department to get them tested but I’m concerned they will kill off my flock if tested positive. This morning did have a sudden change to around 40 degrees but it warmed up later on. What should I do? Is there anything I can do to help prevent the extermination of my flock?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom