Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
i was looking for a list of birds that are susceptible to this flu and found this page

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/15/3/07-1410-t1

It includes ducks and other water fowl, but also includes a pigeon and dove, green pea fowl, chicken ancestor red jungle fowl, a variety of starling, mynah birds, parakeets, and owls. There are others on the list but I’m sure you get the idea. Any bird out there is susceptible and could be a carrier.

Also read an article that says nine states total have confirmed cases. Another said a fourth commercial flock in Indiana has it. Scary stuff.
I heard about the Indiana case today, scary indeed.

There's more info on one of the USDA pages this morning regarding one of the backyard flocks from the news articles.

Suffolk County, NY2/19/2022Backyard Pet Chickens (non-poultry)

From https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks

So they are using a weird definition of "poultry" if pet chickens are non-poultry.
they apparently mean "not part of the food supply" - which means they are not using their own definition, or the FSIS definition, and may be alluding to the voluntary trade organization definitions, where non-poultry is any chicken too old to be called something else...

Which I find to be rather deceptive, personally.

they apparently mean "not part of the food supply" - which means they are not using their own definition, or the FSIS definition, and may be alluding to the voluntary trade organization definitions, where non-poultry is any chicken too old to be called something else...

I agree - that's nonsense.

They are assuming no one is eating the chickens and therefore “not entering the food supply?”

I wonder about large egg-laying factory flocks and whether they would be included since technically no one is eating them, at least right away. And if layers are included all backyard flocks should be included as most people eat their eggs (& many sell them to neighbors.)

This is such crap.

They are assuming no one is eating the chickens and therefore “not entering the food supply?”

I wonder about large egg-laying factory flocks and whether they would be included since technically no one is eating them, at least right away. And if layers are included all backyard flocks should be included as most people eat their eggs (& many sell them to neighbors.)

This is such crap.
Assuming they are using the "someone's pets, too old to be food (or producing eggs for other than the home at which they are located)" definition (BS) it appears they are, then yes, commercial layers would count - as they are producing eggs for the food supply, and will themselves become part of the (likely pet food) supply in the forseeable future.

Assuming they are using the "someone's pets, too old to be food (or producing eggs for other than the home at which they are located)" definition (BS) it appears they are, then yes, commercial layers would count - as they are producing eggs for the food supply, and will themselves become part of the (likely pet food) supply in the forseeable future.

I think it would also help to know if they were free range.
Red tape and BS, seems many officials are full of both.

Back
Top Bottom