Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
I think it really just depends on each situation individually. I could see how some people would disagree about confining birds due to popular belief that they build up natural immunity when exposed but I’m really not one to judge.
I agree with you on building up natural immunity. I like to use natural remedies for myself and my animals, so I'm definitely pro, let the immune system work its magic. The issue with AI is that is is incredibly viral. Its almost impossible to be exposed without catching the disease. If they catch it, they spiral to quickly to build immunity. High Path avian influenza kills within 24-48 hours, so they have no time to recover, or build immunity.
Because of this, it's important to protect them from the disease by staying in confined covered runs.

Noo! I was hoping I had some more time before it made it to my flyway. Darn! Should I be adding a green house to cart? We have our covered run plants, but finding time to pick up the metal is proving rather difficult. How much time do I have before I should be worried?

Does anyone remember what page has the site and all the states with confirmed cases? I'm nervous that its at my doorstep now after seeing a few threads
I wish I remembered where I found this so I could tag them, but it's interesting and a bit scary nonetheless. I haven't checked accuracy, so please keep that in mind. If this has already been shared, my apologies. I have a few pages to get caught up on.

H5N1 HPAI United States 2022
https://goo.gl/maps/EoCvAjS49tcPEMad9

Noo! I was hoping I had some more time before it made it to my flyway. Darn! Should I be adding a green house to cart? We have our covered run plants, but finding time to pick up the metal is proving rather difficult. How much time do I have before I should be worried?
Everyone has different goals and tolerances for any risk. Plus every wild bird cannot be tested which means we really don't know what is out there. So all we can do is pay attention to what is going on and do what we feel is best for our flocks.

DH just replaced a piece of metel on one of our barns and said that stuff had really gone up in price. All building materials have. I purchased 2 large tarps for my chicken's run. It is already covered with wire, just for my peace of mind.

Good luck!

I wish I remembered where I found this so I could tag them, but it's interesting and a bit scary nonetheless. I haven't checked accuracy, so please keep that in mind. If this has already been shared, my apologies. I have a few pages to get caught up on.

H5N1 HPAI United States 2022
https://goo.gl/maps/EoCvAjS49tcPEMad9
Thanks so much! I've been looking for something like this with a map!

Everyone has different goals and tolerances for any risk. Plus every wild bird cannot be tested which means we really don't know what is out there. So all we can do is pay attention to what is going on and do what we feel is best for our flocks.

DH just replaced a piece of metel on one of our barns and said that stuff had really gone up in price. All building materials have. I purchased 2 large tarps for my chicken's run. It is already covered with wire, just for my peace of mind.

Good luck!
Thank you. My birds are my everything, I can not even risk putting them in danger. I'm going to look into getting some instant covered runs up right now. Thank you for the update.

Does anyone know what happens in this scenario....

Next door neighbor's flock gets sick with unknown illness. They ask for testing.

Does whoever come to do the testing want to come test my birds on that trip? Or do they wait to find out the results of the neighbor's test first?
This is a good question, I do not know the answer. I would think that they would test theirs first and then provide you with a notice if they test positive and test immediately, but I am just guessing. Will be interested to hear if someone knows for sure.

Is this happening? Scary if it is

This is a good question, I do not know the answer. I would think that they would test theirs first and then provide you with a notice if they test positive and test immediately, but I am just guessing. Will be interested to hear if someone knows for sure.

Is this happening? Scary if it is
My thoughts as well. Doesn't make sense to worry about your flock unless theres anything to worry about first.

Back
Top Bottom