Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Don't they like moles and/or voles too? I've got several in my front and back yards that I'd love them to feast on. I believe this problematic hawk is a juvenile though so that explains a lot

They're welcome to my moles and voles if they want them. I have noticed that the only mole-free area in my yard is the chicken run. It may help that I have intentionally chosen mainly larger breeds so that they are less attractive prey than bantams would be.

Not immune, once I'm letting them out again I'm sure I'll have losses eventually, but less attractive.

Back on topic, Does anyone have a good reference for setting up an antiseptic footbath?

Back on topic, Does anyone have a good reference for setting up an antiseptic footbath?
The Serama breeder here in NC that I've ordered eggs from was talking about this a week ago. She uses those long and shallow tubs with lids (I'm thinking an under the bed storage tote) and adds a couple of cups of bleach to the water which she fills to several inches. She says that she changes this twice a week and keeps the cover on between uses so nothing can get to the mixture for a drink. The guy that comes around to test her flock every year told her about this.

another suggestion on one of the webinars was to keep a plastic tote at your coop door with shoes only worn in your coop and run. When you get to the door, leave your street shoes next to the bin, and put on your bio secure shoes from the bin as you step inside. Immediately when you open the door to leave, slide your shoes into the plastic bin and put your old shoes back on. Eliminates the need for cleaning them.

If you travel somewhere with other birds around (park, lake, even TSC), it might be worth your time to clean those shoes specifically when you get home.

yone have a good reference for setting up an antiseptic footbath?
A few years ago I visited a bat cave that had bats who were white nose syndrome free, but surrounded by affected bats. Before and after entering, all guests scrubbed in a sterilite style tub with a bleach solution.

One touch I liked is that the bottom of the tub was lined with astroturf. If I set up a sanitation station I will be looking for something similar for scrubbing action.

another suggestion on one of the webinars was to keep a plastic tote at your coop door with shoes only worn in your coop and run. When you get to the door, leave your street shoes next to the bin, and put on your bio secure shoes from the bin as you step inside. Immediately when you open the door to leave, slide your shoes into the plastic bin and put your old shoes back on. Eliminates the need for cleaning them.

If you travel somewhere with other birds around (park, lake, even TSC), it might be worth your time to clean those shoes specifically when you get home.

I can't do that because I have my coop and my brooder in different parts of the yard and will probably end up with grow-outs in yet another area.

My muck boots are my only work boots so I have to use them for all things messy. :(

We had a 79 yr old man from Devon test positive for bird flu, the H5N1 strain. It is very rare for that to happen, he had his 20 ducks living inside his home.
I herd of this story.
Here is a quote from the man.
From the article I read that interviewed him.

Alan said he had been tested constantly by the authorities - but doesn't feel ill.

"Apparently I have got the virus, as far as I can tell I have no ailments whatsoever," he said.

"They’ve been taking samples for me so they can work out what to do to stop others from getting it.

"I'm quite pleased to be able to help them. They’ve taken sample after sample."

And the article if anyone is interested.

https://www.the-sun.com/health/4406683/first-brit-infected-bird-flu-devastated-ducks-killed/

In some parts of California authorities were euthanizing ALL poultry within quarantine zones, even if poultry were confined in covered pens, and even if poultry were kept in a person's house. I believe the draconian practice was eventually stopped due to massive public outcry.

North and South Carolina are both in the Atlantic migratory flyway, so poultry keepers in those states should pay attention for further developments. The central flyway states (of which my state is a part) had a big scare back in 2015, when millions of commercial layer hens were euthanized after avian flu was confirmed in some northern states within the central flyway zone. No need to panic, but if I currently lived in Atlantic flyway states I would keep watch for any further spread. And I would be prepared to pen poultry i wished to keep under a covered roof until any quarantined areas are given the all-clear.
draconian it is!
https://odysee.com/@iceagefarmer:42/uk-apocalyptic-bird-flu-jumps-to-humans:2

Same here. This wierdo flys down and just stands by the chicken runs like it enjoys seeing them freak out.
We have families of hawks all around us, and I had one do this same thing. He can window shop all he wants but he ain’t gettin in!! 😡. Fortunately we also have crows that chase them off. Hope your rooster’s doing ok.

I herd of this story.
Here is a quote from the man.
From the article I read that interviewed him.

Alan said he had been tested constantly by the authorities - but doesn't feel ill.

"Apparently I have got the virus, as far as I can tell I have no ailments whatsoever," he said.

"They’ve been taking samples for me so they can work out what to do to stop others from getting it.

"I'm quite pleased to be able to help them. They’ve taken sample after sample."

And the article if anyone is interested.

https://www.the-sun.com/health/4406683/first-brit-infected-bird-flu-devastated-ducks-killed/
That man took ducks from the wild to live in his house. I don't feel bad for him whatsoever and he is lucky they didn't give him anything else

Back
Top Bottom