Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
I put these 10x26 ft greenhouses over my coops and connected to my coops. $180 each on wayfair for those in the states. View attachment 3035066
I looked at something similar. My pen is a weird shape though, and is pretty big.
You can see how it's constructed here.
IMG_20211207_100404682_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20211207_101004094_HDR~2.jpg

Even if it at least keeps the sparrows out? Poop would still fall through but at least they wouldn't be directly coming in contact with the birds? I was looking at this one.
https://www.amazon.com/DGCUS-Netting-Poultry-Protect-Plants/dp/B09MW1TCD2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1DWY53M31CL4W&keywords=50x50+fine+mesh+netting&qid=1648060710&sprefix=50x50+fine+mesh+netting,aps,106&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
As @BrooksHatlen said, netting is probably pointless given the sick snow geese in your area. The reason authorities are saying to get flocks “undercover” is because the droppings from birds flying over an open air pen can transmit AI. The birds don’t have to come into direct contact with your chickens to spread the disease. Definitely limit anyone else coming into your chicken yard.

I’d suggest you read this thread from the beginning. It’s a long one, but there’s a lot of very detailed information that can possibly answer all the questions running through your mind right now. Keeping the disease out of the chicken yard at ground level (biosecurity) was a big part of this thread. Great info, and something you can control.

If you can’t cover the entire pen could you get a tarp or some heavy contractors plastic sheeting? I used 6 mil plastic and some extra 6 foot roll up fencing & stakes to cover an 8x20 foot section of my open air run just off the coop.

If covering up in some form or keeping them in your coop setup still isn’t an option, my heart goes out to you. There are a few folks on this thread who have no choice but to leave them in the open and I know we’re all pulling for them, and now you too. :hugs

I just saw a FB video of a very sick snow goose near me. We have millions on snow geese migrating back, and tons of ducks too.
I've heard from multiple people that they keep seeing snow geese left laying in fields, and when they walk up to them they have zero coordination. It's very close to me, and I don't know what to do. There is really no way of covering my pen, unless I want to spend over 1k.
Can I use a fine netting to cover it? Will that help at all or is it also pointless? There are sparrows in my pen like crazy everyday.
I won't be able to handle losing all of my birds. They are everything to me.
Someone posted earlier that netting is better than nothing. How many birds do you have? Is it possible to bring them into as shed or a garage? Plastic green houses make good instant runs. Of course, they will have to go into a coop at night. If your weather is getting warmer a green house isn't a good idea anyway.
There are these canvas shelters that would do the same thing though. Cheeper too.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwjh6Naa-Nz2AhXDFzQIHbbsDfoQ9pwGCA8

Back
Top Bottom