Avian influenza found in South Carolina

This is a true concern.

Since it's mainly spread by wild birds should they be eliminated also? That would be unthinkable to me. Although I started discouraging wild birds awhile back due to lice right after the black birds landed, but I don't kill them.
Although I thought about it when a pair of ducks were in the creek.

We have control over our flocks and can manage that vector. Doing nothing because we can't do everything would be truly silly. Like refusing to wash your hands because you can't completely sterilize them.

IIRC, agriculturally-significant epidemics in wild populations of various animals HAVE been managed by culling said wild populations in the past -- in order to at least reduce the risk by thinning them in a known-infested area. And that done both to protect agriculture AND to protect other wild populations.

No links because I read about it a decade or two ago in re: a different outbreak of some avian disease.

We have control over our flocks and can manage that vector. Doing nothing because we can't do everything would be truly silly. Like refusing to wash your hands because you can't completely sterilize them.

IIRC, agriculturally-significant epidemics in wild populations of various animals HAVE been managed by culling said wild populations in the past -- in order to at least reduce the risk by thinning them in a known-infested area. And that done both to protect agriculture AND to protect other wild populations.

No links because I read about it a decade or two ago in re: a different outbreak of some avian disease.
I have always had different clothes,boots,coat for town for bio security. Unfortunately I would have to cull over half my flock to keep them under cover. I don't think selling birds would be a good idea right now. I have started harvesting extra turkeys. As far as building covered runs too many trees and I haven't recovered from covid. (I wore a mask and only went to town for food 2x a month, so I don't know how I caught that.)
if/when my flock starts dying I will probably report it and not get poultry again.

You know with covid they talk about herd immunity. But with the avian influenza they aren't interested in that. It comes around every few years and they depopulate even the birds that are resistant. No sure how logical that is when it's spread by wild birds.
I can't explain it correctly, but we do not get immume to human influenza either. The flu mutates so fast that there is a new strain every winter. That's also why the annual flu shot is different every year but never works very well.

There is an avian influenza vaccine in the works. Due to the cost of massive culling and it getting more frequent they are hoping to have a different method of control in the near future. Yes all influenzas mutate easily and frequently. I wonder if it will ever be available for backyard flocks?

I found this interesting-
https://www.wattagnet.com/articles/44903-nanovaccine-could-prevent-future-avian-flu-outbreaks
If it did become available, wouldn't it be an issues once the flu mutated again? Like human influenza's?

Back
Top Bottom